Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Trying to be happy, isn’t working

Dear @Anastasia  and @Emelia8 ,

you have not said too much @Anastasia   I find your posts very supportive.  I am having a hard time just at the moment and don’t seem to be able to pick myself up from it.  It is a wet day here and mild, but not cold.  We are just relaxing my little sweetie and me.i seem to spend a disproportionate amount of my time cleaning up the kitchen, still, at least I have that to do to make life more functional.  

I need to set some life goals. Which I frequently do, but carrying them out is a whole other thing.  Like going for a daily walk, drink less wine, or better still no wine.smile more, I am not one of life’s natural smilers, and I think smiling improves the mood .

i shall be 70 in a few months, I don’t mind being older, but I find the results of aging bothersome.  Like a lot of young people I thought that it would not happen to me, the conceit eh.  But here it is and I see the evidence everyday, crinkly arms, saggy this and that. I am not particularly wrinkly and have very little grey hair but things have changed.how do people find meaning in the old age phase of life?  No more children to be had, no falling in love, no career , so setting goals seems difficult for me.

i shall think on this

thank you for listening

peri xx

Hello dear @Peri 

It's really lovely to hear from you, thank you for your message. I haven't been much support of late and I apologize for this. I'm sorry you're lonely, it makes me happy to hear your sweetie is with you. 

Setting goals can be tricky, well adhering to them really, lifes challenge. I like your smile more one. I always answer the telephone with a smile, lol something I was taught waaaay back and it's stuck. I agree smiling improves the mood.

I hear you about aging. I feel it very much and I'm only 50 :face_with_rolling_eyes: My son's health issues have prematurely aged me along with hereditary ailments.

Have you put any feelers out for work? I know you had a few ideas you were considering. I better run Peri, need to tend to a few things here.

Take care my dear friend and you to @Emelia8 🌷🌻

@Peri 💙💚

Thank you @outlander , your thoughts are appreciated.

i hope you are alright and managing everything going on in your life

peri xx

Dear @Anastasia , thank you so much.

i used to get great at setting goals, now I am useless.  Yes, aging is a funny business, particularly when you realise that it is actually happening and to you. 

Never mind, 50 is still young to me.  , though I don’t think that I thought so at the time.  

But I had a great role model for how to be old and be active and participate.  My mother lived to 101. And she was amazing so I keep focusing on her.

no I have done nothing about work, but I may do some volunteering.

thanks for taking the time

peri xx

Hello dear @Peri yes 50 is young but my body doesn't think so :face_with_rolling_eyes:😆

Wow 101 amazing, God bless your Mum X

Are you getting the winds there Peri, I hear it's making its way across WA. I hope not, please stay safe.

I'm about to call it a night I think, so if I don't catch you take care my dear friend. Hugs and love always 🌹

Often thinking of you @Peri 💕 though we are different and i cant relate to the more aging side i often relate to much of the other things

Sending you some gentle hugs and love dear @Peri. You are very special to me 🙏

IMG_20210417_090122.jpg

Oh thank you @Anastasia ,

i love the flowers,  I am glad that I am special to you, you too, are special to me. I think you are amazing, coping with what I think and understand to be one of the most distressing situations for a parent.

i have been a bit off the scene for a week or so.  My little granddaughter had some surgery last Wednesday, not very serious, but there has always been disagreement between her parents in the need for this.  I did not think it was necessary and neither did her father.  But her mother wanted it and it became a contentious issue even in the court proceedings.  I am sure I have mentioned that she is disabled, but she does eat fine and drinks.  She has had a Naso gastric tube for a few years to be able to top up her fluids as it requires patience and persistence to get enough drinks into her.  So the surgery was to make a gastrostomy so that she can have the fluids direct to her stomach and the naso gastric tube removed.  After she went into hospital I had a series of nasty messages from the mother blaming me for the tube and all sorts of stuff. 

I could go on but I won’t.  Anyway my granddaughter has had post op complications and is quite sick in hospital.  It has been so worrying and upsetting.. my son is with her tonight.  He is very upset that she is ill because this was inflicted on her.

so I have been busy trying to comfort my son and support him and worrying about our little girl. 

This son son is the one I have watched over for so many years in the way you watch over your son.  So if anything went really wrong here I don’t know what he would do.  And I could not bear life without him. So your situation has touched a chord with me and a special place in my heart and soul.

love. Peri xx

Oh @Peri ... what a distressing situation for you, your son and your darling little granddaughter to be in. I am so sorry that common sense appears not to have prevailed in this case. All anyone can do now is to hope and pray that she recovers from the post-op complications that have beset her.

Sitting with you, bringing you a hot cuppa, and lending a willing ear and an aching heart.

My thoughts are with you through such a trying time.

Love to you dear Peri.

Emelia 💕

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.