Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

dragonskin112
New Contributor

Self-Harm

Hiya, so right now it's pretty late for me. I have to be up for work in about four and a half hours. I'm having some serious self-harm ideation. I'm not suicidal at the moment and I don't think this will go much beyond ideation so I don't really feel up for calling a crisis hotline. I think what I really need is a distraction, any ideas? I know it's my depression acting up as I've had some issues with my psyc and been off my meds for about two weeks. (I see her again in two days and I'll be able to get back on them then, I just need to hang on until then.) I'm home alone because my flatmate basically lives at her boyfriend's house (my brother, because my life wasn't already complicated enough), and neither her cat or mine is feeling very cuddly. My boyfreind lives on the other side of the Pacific Ocean. I'm hoping that just setting things out in text will actually help distract me a bit. Anybody have any other ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Self-Harm

maybe do some exercise or walk, i tend to do lunges and situps at home till im too tired and sore to do more, kind of works sometimes. Make a toy for the cats (piece of string, roll up a bit of alfoil into a ball) see if they will play with you then, have a shower/bath.

good luck and well done for trying to avoid the sh,

LJ

Hi @dragonskin112

Welcome to the Forums! I'm glad that you're on here reaching out for support rather than trying to get though a tough time on your own.

@Crazy_Bug_Lady started this thread called the 'Coping Box'. You might some interesting and useul strategies in there. There's also this resource about self-harm distractions. It's from the UK, but there's some pratical tips on things you can do.

CB

Hi @dragonskin112

Welcome to the forums!
I'm sorry you're feeling like this. I am too at the moment. I have my Coping Box (see CB's link for our forums box) which has all my favourite distractions. I have a lovely fuzzy blanket (that I'm wrapped up in), colouring in, a puzzle, all sort of stuff.

I'm watching Doctor Who at the mo to distract me. Except it's an ep that makes me cry, but I half feel like I *need* to cry, to let it out.

Hope you feel better soon.

-CBL-
Hobbit
Senior Contributor

Hi there @dragonskin112

Just thought I would send you a quick note to see how things are with you tonight.

Hobbit.

Thank you I'm doing much better tonight. I'm still not 100% but I'm OK. I go to get my meds tomorrow so I'm trying to hold on until then. Last night I was doing better and then my boyfriend said one of the worst things. I put a temporary tattoo I had found on my wrist (it says "Breathe" and it was the perfect size), to distract myself and remind myself to calm down. When I told him about it he told me that I "overreact too much." Which he quickly realized (and felt horrible about) was absolutely the wrong thing to say. He didn't mean it the way I took it but it did cause a bit of a hicup in my night.

Hi Dragonskin
Glad to hear you're doing a bit better. I've never thought of temporary tattoos. I did get a tattoo a few years back, on the area where I usually SH, unfortunately it didn't stop me, I SH around it...
I like to draw on the area with markers to try and distract myself when I want to SH. I'm a shitty artist, but I still draw. 😀 I don't wash it off, I leave it there as long as I can.
I've actually got a texta where I keep my "tools". I don't have the courage to throw them out, but I hope that the texta is an alternative.
Maybe you could try that?? Or even get a friend or your bf to draw something.
Former-Member
Not applicable

I've been not doing so great in this area lately but its gotten almost to a point where its hardly helping anymore either but still 'need' it. Distractions dont work at the moment, just very much living day to day. I used to draw on myself too but havent found that to be helpful lately, have found exercise to be useful but havent been able to get out of the house much so doing lots of lunges around the house and different core excercises that i can do at home. And watching old shows over again. 

Wish there was just a snap cure for all this... Hope you @dragonskin112 and @Crazy_Bug_Lady are doing ok,

LJ

Hey @Former-Member @dragonskin112 @Crazy_Bug_Lady

SO sorry to hear you are all struggling with this. I really hope something gives soon and the feelings are relieved. Horrible and intense, have experienced it just once that I remember. It shocked the sh*t out of me, to the extent that I talked to my psych about it rather than acting on it (I think I was in therapy 3 or 4 days a week then, and could afford it because I was working full time and well paid). But I remember the feeling, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

@Crazy_Bug_Lady watching something to help you cry sounds like a good idea to allow some of the pain out safely - great self-insight. I hope it helped alleviate things.

Holding you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hope for a journey of self-compassion endures...

Kindest regards, 

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.