Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Self-Care with major Physical illnesses

Thanks @Appleblossom

I'm listening to my self-hypnosis CD's for relaxation, & to help me to sleep.

I've booked an appointment with the hypnotherapist, who I haven't seen in 3 & 1/2 years.

He remembered me well, & was glad to accomodate me.

Adge

@Adge

Sounds like you are making the best of it and doing the smartest thing.

Smiley Happy

I am a bit quiet today.  Was triggered yesterday.  Just going slow.  Good to touch base.

Hi everyone.

Hernia surgery has just been booked for 6th of March - 4 day stay in hospital.
I've just seen the surgeon today - he said the hernia surgery is urgent.

It's serious, as GP said 4 months ago - although I had no way of getting confirmation of that, until today.

I was expecting the surgeon to disagree with the GP, & minimise my situation.

Instead, he said it must be operated on, or it will only get worse.

A relief to finally have it seen to.

Adge

This decision was made with Better MH (& recovery) in mind - although physical recovery has been very difficult also, under the current circumstances.

The pros & cons of staying or resigning my job became "paralysis by analysis" - reaching no decision & mentally going around in circles (with no end).

In the end, I wrote & emailed my resignation anyway - just to break the roadblock of indecision.

There is no plan to enact, to deal with the consequences, or to "Re-frame" a positive way forward.

I very much need to work on a plan - which may include renting out a room (or 2) of my house, to gain some small income.

I had a very constructive & positive 30 minute meeting with my Team Leader (12.30-1.00pm) this afternoon - he offered to try to limit the demands for work (client) use of my private car.

Yet there was little that he could do, as the Disability & Aged care sector now demands that employees use their own car - driving potentially 20,000 Km per year, mostly unpaid.

He offered to withhold my resignation letter, if I wished to consider it further (or change my mind) - before having it submitted.

Instead, I very sadly asked him to submit it to HR.

My Team Leader agreed with me when I said that working in the "Not for Profit" sector can be Soul-Destroying - with constant changes that we cannot adapt to, with no workers knowing where they stand (or what their rights are).

It is the system, not the people that has been causing me such intolerable stress - my employer is unable to change that system (& NDIS funding system).

My only way to "opt-out", with the aim (goal) of practicing Better Self-care - was to resign (leave).

Adge

Hi everyone.

I'm uncertain & somewhat confused about any immediate goals or future plans for myself, at the moment.

That's because December's events had such a huge impact on me - that everything virtually came to a stand-still (froze).

I've had some brilliant suggestions, but rather vague - with no face to face support (or services) to enact anything.

So my immediate focus needs to be smaller - ie primarily seeking more on-going supports & therapy groups, if available.

To give myself credit, there have been some big achievements amidst the traumatic events (& coming to terms with that) -

1) I went to see a surgeon privately, & am getting my major hernia surgery 6 months to 1 year sooner (still through public system).

2) I've had some dealings with solicitors (lawyers scare me) - & have sorted out a big financial matter.

The flashbacks that I've been having (for several weeks) from December's stressful events - have eased thank goodness..

Adge

Hi everyone,

I'm going into hospital in 2 week's time - for a complicated Hernia surgery (the surgeon said).

Directly caused by the wound split (not re-stitched) & massive scar tissue - from my last (3rd) Bowel surgery, 3 & 1/2 years ago.

It's been a long wait, with a large uncomfortable tummy-bulge.

I received some surprising affirmation from my long-time interstate friend, who has been in a private MH facility for more than 15 years.

He said that he was "very glad that I was never admitted as an inpatient" to the Psychiatric ward - last December (2018), when I was sent in in an ambulance (several times). I was only in A&E for about 5 hours, each time.

My friend said that he has been admitted as an inpatient many times - he said that it "would not have been good for me".

He confirmed my assessment that I was "treated abnormally" by people in A&E - specifically because of being there (supposedly) for MH issues, instead of for a physical illness.

It was very very different from my experience of being in A&E for life-threatening bowel obstruction (tumour) & immediate surgery.

I did not expect this response (opinion) from my friend - I expected him to have wanted me to have been admitted as a psychiatric inpatient.

What he said was a breath of fresh air....

Adge

Hi @Meowmy @eth

Here is my Physical illness (self-care) thread - if you're interested.

I've not yet regained my strength & energy, since my last bowel surgery (earlier this year).

Still grappling with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (daily) - caused by my bowels being disconnected (stoma & bag) for 6 months.

It's been a long recovery journey.

There have been some good exchanges of information & experiences, earlier in this thread.

Adge

@Adge hey Dave, thanks for the tag. It's so hard with a chronic illness. Hope we support each other through bit by bit. Rest is so important. Hope your energy is a bit better in the afternoon. I just been lying down for a nap. I feel down and anxious lol. Not physical . Guess physical, mental illness can be similar. Hope the day turns out a bit better for us all. Take care.

Hi @Meowmy I get very anxious too.

I have complex PTSD, which is supposedly an anxiety disorder.

Yes there's definitely interaction between physical & mental illnesses.

Adge

@Adge Hey Adge, hope your afternoon is getting a bit better. It’s sunny here. I am having a coffee and hope to go out for a walk after. Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.