Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

starfishblue
Casual Contributor

Re: lived experience

i am not functioning very well at work.my depression is just debilitating I am under performing at work and everyday seems like i drag myself out of bed. i just cant function like i use to. i use to be known for getting things done but now i am nearly afraid to do things. i just dont know how to fix this 

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @starfishblue 

Welcome to the forums. Making that first post can be tough, but I'm really glad you did.

I moved your post from that big thread that you responded in because it was hiding a bit and I think perhaps we can have a more dedicated discussion about you in this new thread 🙂

When a mental health difficulty starts to interfer with our daily lives, it's time to step back and look for ways to take action.

Some questions that might help members respond to your post are;

- Have you got help for your depression before? If so - has any of the treatment worked

- Are you still currently seeing a health care professional for your depression? If so, is it a psychologist/counsellor/GP etc?

Welcome again 🙂

NikNik

@starfishblue I understand. I hate not being able to get things done. I think I put alot if my self worth in being able to "do" stuff. It's especially hard at work. You want to do well so you get down that you can't. You are down so you don't do well and cycle round. is this a new thing for you or have you had this happen before?

thank you. it is hard at the moment.

ive had depression before but it was brought on through injury. i think it is the spiral affect where you just cant do anything right

That's a tough  @starfishblue to feel like you can't do anything right, however, you have already done a few things right!

1) you are aware of what is going on. A lot of people don't have the perspective to understand what they are experience is depression

2) you have come on here to reach out for advice and support (That's huge!)

You're well on your way!

You mentioned you have had depression before - what helped you through that?

Hey there @starfishblue  welcome to the forums.  

I don't know about you but when I'm depressed the hardest thing to do is ask for help.  Personally I can see it, I can acknowledge it and I can accept it but the really difficult part is fronting up and saying "I need help".  Many times I've just cried in the car all the way to work, worked on half cylinders at work then cried all the way home.  Doesn't do anyone any good but it's easier than asking for help!?  

Because I am better at saying than doing 😉 I can suggest that you really should talk to someone.  Talk to your GP, get a mental health plan, see a therapist.  It may mean medication, it should mean learning some skills for managing your depression.  But you are pivitol in your future so you need to make that first step which you have done just wonderfully here by joining our community and talking to us.  Every state differs as to services but there are MIFAs and ARAFMIs around the country which offer great support.  

Best of luck and look forward to seeing you around the forums. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.