Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Partner with both MH issues and cancer

Ohhh my @Former-Member 

Sending you  lots of tender hugs as our  neighbors  husband  went through  the same 

Spent lots of afternoon and morning tea  with them 

I'm so sorry to hear that @Former-Member 💔😔

Having plans in place, well before needed, will make things just a little easier for Mr Darcys loved ones. And also means Mr Darcy will have the best possible care and pain control, when the time comes.

Such a difficult time for you @Former-Member 🌷 

I sincerely hope you are accepting whatever help is available for both Mr Darcy and yourself.

Emelia

@Former-Member I am so sorry to hear how quickly your husbands terminal illness has deteriorated....it is just so awful and beyond words. You will feel like you are out of body for a long time, not quite able to register such a huge loss all at once; time will be distorted. 

I hope that you have some family and friends around you and that Mr D can still recognise you and communicate to some degree.

Even those closest to you can behave so strangely when it comes to death and dying. Our culture can be kind of weird not talking about death. I hope, at least, that you have one or two people that have the balls to stick around IRL and can face this big moment when you are losing your life partner. 

Corny Heart

Short visits is all Mr Darcy can cope with @Shaz51 he can no longer hide his fatigue. Yes, I am accepting help @Emelia8 , I am hoping to arrange a house cleaning session through Carers Australia as the messiest part of our renovation is just about done.  I only need to ask and an acquaintance will help with some lawn mowing and another friend might come and help me plant some spring flowering bulbs. Pain is still problematic and this will be discussed in this week's appointment.   @Corny Mr D still communicates well, he has 'suggested' a memorial service program (suggested = has already asked the people concerned if they would participate).  Family are supportive but geographically not close however my sister lives close to the available hospice in the big smoke and would be happy to accommodate me and the hounds stay should Mr Darcy's care needs warrant admission. 

Oh that must be so surreal for you @Former-Member that he is able to ask for ceremonial things so frankly.....Mr D is displaying so much strength at this time. I hope that he is allowed to have the poochies in the hospital if he requests it,

Corny Heart

Checking in @RMG @Emelia8 

@Emelia8

tenor (8).gif

Hi @Former-Member and thanks for thinking of me. Love the cute meerkat. 😄

I'm okay thank you.  I see my radiation oncologist again next Monday for a checkup. Saw my psych last Wednesday week after a 3.5 month break. Got my breast prosthesis last week, which is nice. Not so self conscious about being lopsided, and more comfortable. Im not sure when my next scans will be, but probably in May. That will be 6 months after surgery, and I'm due to see both surgeon and medical oncologist early May.

Hubbys last cancer monitoring scans in November were clear, and he is also due for his next ct scans in early May. His Parkinsons Disease continues to get slowly but surely worse. And he does not react well to necessary meds increases, due to the damage to that part of his brain from his bouts of encephalitis resulting from his cancer treatment. He is due to see one of his neurologists next week in the City.

How is Mr Darcy doing?

Emelia 🌷

Prosthesis arrived = yay.

Mr Darcy has lost weight, is tired and is losing his appetite, all of which are a source of distress to him. He gets upset as he takes so long to do things i.e. 2 hours to do a few dishes and feels I am being impatient when I do a job that he feels he can do. His OCD type behaviours are increasing and he gets confused at times and I need to explain things simply. I don't know if it is disease progression or side effects from a new med that was added that might be causing the confusion along with mood alteration (he is very emotional, crying often) and I have raised the question with the palliative care team and his pdoc. 

I suspect we are down to weeks now 💔.

I'm sorry @Former-Member 💔😔

That would be so hard, for both of you. 

Emelia 💞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.