Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Muffin
New Contributor

OCD

I’m having a really hard time dealing with my OCD at the moment. I’ve had it for almost 14 years now, and although sometimes I feel I have control, days like today I feel like I’m losing my mind. And the worst part is knowing that it’s silly what I obsess over, but not being able to do anything about it. Recently I’ve tried to be more brave. But today I feel like I did something stupid and I can’t stop thinking about it. Freaking out about it. I picked up some rubbish on my way to work to stop it going in a storm drain. I used a tissue as a barrier between me and the rubbish as I didn’t have gloves. Then I noticed that it was a wipe of some kind that I’d picked up - like a make up wipe or cleaning wipe etc. Although it didn’t have any marks on it - it didn’t look dirty or used - I can’t stop washing my hands and freaking out about it. I feel sick about it. Usually I have obsessive thoughts about locks, switches and appliances that make it hard for me to leave the house. I don’t know how to take control of this. Or what to do. 

3 REPLIES 3
Ali11
Community Builder

Re: OCD

We're sorry to hear about your intrusive thoughts @Muffin, and we understand how exhausted you must be with the rituals you undertake just to leave the house. The good news is that you don't have to manage this alone, there are different ways that you can get help. Have you got a trusted GP that you can talk to about your OCD symptoms?

I’m going to attempt to get into my GP tomorrow to see how to manage this. I normally feel like I can pull myself out of these, or getting someone to tell me that I’m overreacting usually shakes some sense into me, but today’s episode has fully consumed me and I don’t know what to do to come out of it. 

Ali11
Community Builder

@Muffin That must be really tough that your usual strategies are not helping today. We'd suggest it is a positive that you have found your way to this community, where many people understand what you are going through, and that you will have a chance to see your GP tomorrow.

You mentioned that sometimes you get someone to tell you that you're overreacting. Is there anyone in particular that you usually ask to do this and could you give them a call tonight just to chat?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.