Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Just out of hospital

Hi everyone I just got out of hospital yesterday after being there for about 6 weeks and while I am excited to be home I am struggling to adjust a little which I know is totally normal but idk how to make it a little easier cause I just feel so odd at the moment. What do others do to make the transition back home easier? 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Just out of hospital

Hi @Eden1919 

It's so great you're home from hospital. But I understand the feeling of being out of sorts. I haven't been through a hospital stay and return to home but I do always struggle with change. I imagine the safety and routine of hospital became so familiar and comforting. Now you're 'free' again and having to adjust to your 'old' life. Do you have something you can do that comforts you? For me, it's putting on re-runs of my favourite upbeat tv shows. Even if I just have it on in the background, I feel safe having it on, listening to familiar voices. Another thing I like to do when I need comforting is make a nice cake or slice or do some painting or drawing. 

I'm glad you have us to reach out to for support. 

Sending hugs

Hanami

Just tagging some community guides who might welcome you back and have some ideas 

@Faith-and-Hope @NatureLover @Shaz51 @Judi9877 @outlander @maddison @Eve7 @Zoe7 

@hanami thanks it isn’t so much that hospital was comforting it was just different like having to constantly ask for things you should be able to do for yourself and constantly having nothing to do it is weird having everything back and is a little overwhelming. 

Coming home can be really strange @Eden1919 but now is the time to enjoy real coffee, a bubble bath, home cooking and clean clothes.

Put your feet up hon and congratulate yourself on making it this far.

Welcome back to the forums 😊🌺🍰

Ah gotcha @Eden1919 !

Yeah that must be a weird feeling. I hope you adjust quickly. Great to see you back on the forums. 

❤️

Hi there @Eden1919 and welcome back to the forums! Hi to @hanami @Eve7 as well. I’m so glad you’re feeling better!

To be honest, the best tips I can give to you about coming out of hospital and back into real life is to take things easy at first and focus on small things like being able to cook your own meals and have coffee/tea/etc whenever you feel like and not the caffeine free stuff that most psych wards have. Take time to get used to choosing what you want to do and when you want to do it, such as what time to take your meds and go to sleep and wake up for example as there tends to be a bit of a structured routine for these in hospital as I’ve noticed in my 2 admissions in the past 2 years. I noticed when I first got out, I struggled with being able to drive myself to the local shops and knit as long as I liked as I wasn’t allowed to knit past 10pm in hospital with me having to hand over my knitting when the night nurse came to collect it which I didn’t like as knitting actually helped calm me down when I wasn’t well. Even a simple thing like being able to charge my phone in my room at home was a great achievement for me as I couldn’t do this when I was in hospital for obvious reasons. Make the most of being free from restrictions that are in place in hospital and really see the differences that there are between hospital and home and really love them up.

I know from my own perspective and experience that I wouldn’t go back to hospital as I can’t handle the restrictions placed on me anymore unless absolutely necessary and even then, it would be very difficult admitting myself. I prefer and have learnt to rely on my wide range of coping strategies that I’ve developed over several years of mental illnesses and know that these are often a lot better than being in hospital for my own needs. I feel a lot happier being at home and in my local community and believe my mental health is a lot better for it. I know I can call my relevant supports if I need help and I also know they will help me should I need to call them. A cup of tea or a warm shower can be a great source of help to me when I’m feeling anxious along with just going on the forums for some advice and friendship as well can help me at times. 

The best news is you are now well and stronger than what you were when you went to hospital and that’s a massive achievement and one to be celebrated and I’m proud of you. You are a great person and I enjoy your company here on the forums. Just take things one day at a time and I’m sure you’ll be okay.

Take care and stay safe!

Judi9877☺️💐

Naw, @Judi9877 there are some amazing suggestions here. You're amazing too! Thank you for being you ❤️

Welcome back/home @Eden1919 

I know that transition back to home life can be really hard and sometimes a bit scary. All of a sudden you’re responsible for yourself again! And you have so much freedom all of a sudden. Ideally after such a long hospital stay, it would be really good if they kinda prepared you a little better and allowed you to go out by yourself and have visits at home before throwing you back into the big wide world. 

When I have been discharged from hospital in the past I make sure I stick to a routine as much as possible. Eating regularly, getting some exercise in and going to bed at a reasonable time and then getting up at a reasonable time too. Even taking my meds at the same time they were giving them to me in hospital helped too. I don’t necessarily go and catch up with every friend. I take it easy. Slowly reintegrate back into my normal life/society. Otherwise I get too overwhelmed. Attend any follow up appointments too and get back into seeing my regular supports.

hope that helps! 

Hello @Eden1919 congratulations on your discharge from hospital.  If I have a stressful event I try and re-align the energy systems of my body so my energy doesn't feel "off".  One thing you can do is cross-crawl which reintegrates the mind and body and makes you feel more whole.  I have a stack of energy practices but cross-crawl I use to harmonise the flow of energy so its not stuck in my body. It takes under a minute to do and afterwards you feel as if the energy is moving through your body properly. I use it after stressful incidents and sickness. Wishing you all the best - there are so many energy practices you can do but this is an easy start. Hoping you feel stronger soon! Sending you warm wishes 🙂  

Welcome back @Eden1919 it's good to see you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.