Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

kushami36
New Contributor

Frights from neighbours

I have PTSD and am having a tough time this evening. A few months ago, our neighbours left their friends' dog in their courtyard while they all went out, unknown to us. When we went out the front door, the dog went mental, barking, growling, snarling, and throwing itself against the fence. Even my dad, who is pretty unflappable, said it was like the Hound of the Baskervilles.

My dad spoke very strongly to the neighbours and they were apologetic. I have been trying to put the incident behind me, but even after two months, my chest tightens when I have to go out the front door.

Then tonight, they bl**dy did it again. Different, less aggressive dog, but another fright for me. My face was burning, as though I had really bad sunburn, and I had the awful experience of not feeling safe in my own home *again*. Now I can hear the neighbours laughing and chatting with their friends while I sit here and suffer. I live in the country, and don't have anywhere else to go nearby to stay with friends or anything.

I need to feel safe in my home, and now I don't.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Frights from neighbours

Hey there @kushami36 I am so sorry to hear this, it's so un-nerving and many of us at one time or another have experienced something of this calibre, you're right it is a very unsettling feeling in your own space. Also not fun for the dogs! So could your Dad potentially come around and the two of you approach your neighbours again when you are feeling less anxious? The other option is from there onward, if they do it again, you could contact the council and lodge some kind of dispute resolution. This is a long term notion but sometimes it can help to know there are options.

In terms of your own self-care throughout this, do you have a counsellor you see at all? We are here to listen Heart 

Re: Frights from neighbours

Thanks for your kind words, nashy.

I don't think there is much we can do in this situation. The neighbours seem like reasonable people, and my dad did speak to them after both incidents, but given that they did it a second time, I don't know what to think.

If we knew the identity of the first highly aggressive dog/owners, we would report it, as their dog obviously needs intervention before a more serious incident happens. But they were just visiting and we have no idea who they are. At the time we were quite shaken and did not think it through. I know some councils allow you to report aggressive dogs separately to noise matters.

The neighbours are tenants and the owner will be coming back to the house after a stint working interstate, but I'm not sure when that will be. I just have to steel myself before going out the front door!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.