Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Smc
Senior Contributor

Re: D.I.D.

Ta @Shaz51 . Some sleep but not enough. I think it's because we've been running on high alert for so long... I can't take much excitement. 😛 Even if it's a "good news" kind of excited, the adreneline rush kicks in way above and beyond what it should, so that mucks up my sleep patterns. I woke up sometime in the wee hours, and slept fitfully after that. Maybe tonight will be better.

hope soo too @Smc , fingers crossed

I wa up from 1am to 4am the other night , i finally came here at 2am and went back to bed at 4am

Smc
Senior Contributor

Yup @Shaz51 ... I guess a lot of people here would know exactly what I'm talking about.

I try not to go on the computer in the middle of the night, so I'm a no-show for the Midnight Special posts.

Smc
Senior Contributor

Feeling gutted. I'm totally unreasonable with myself. When something hard happens and I handle it OK- full on adrenaline crisis mode perhaps, but I (or we... Hubby's in this with me) manage to pull it together.. and then I completely forget the "after crash" that happens a day or two down the track once the brain's actually had time to more-or-less process it all.

I got a phone call this morning about an incident between Younger Daughter and another school kid. She's been reported as the agressor, I'm suspicious there may have been some goading but that doesn't completey let her off the hook.

Hassle is, this happened on Friday when we were doing our big emergency surgery run. We weren't there when she got home from school, the next day was full, the day after it less so, but we were all kind of "playing turtle" (hiding in our shells) in our own ways. She hasn't really had a chance to talk with us, and may have felt like she shouldn't load us up with anything else. Or been afraid of getting in trouble... maybe a bit of both.

It sounds like a minor incident, and the lady who rang us about it was very sympathetic and reasonable. I filled her in briefly on what's happening here, and asked her to please deal with it gently. Which I think she will.

But it's left me teary, which I wasn't ready for. Straw that broke the camel's back I guess. 😞

I've also got sitting in the back of my mind a phonecall from my Mum's doctor. She's concerned that the infected area on Mum's leg has gotten worse, and has been at the "worse" stage for about a month now instead of contracting back to the area they'd previously confined it to. I'm not confident it will ever really "get better", and so containment through good management is about the best I'm hoping for. However, there's the possibility that the larger area may become its "new normal", and whenever there's a chronic infection, there's risk of dangerous (possibly deadly) secondary infections. Which is what the doctor is worried about too.

That's another thing I haven't really been able to process yet. I can't travel up there right now- I wouldn't cope. I'm not even really at a point yet where I can cope with making a phone call. But the chance to have a private conversation with Mum's doctor was helpful. I was able to fill her in on some of the other stuff we're dealing with, and I also let her know that we don't tell Mum all the fine details because she gets so worried, to the point of panicky.

So it's a bit of everything at once here. Both Hubby and I are trying to do some everyday-normal stuff, but I'm feeling ill from emotional exhaustion, and I think he's much the same.

@Smc thinking of you in all of this.

Smc
Senior Contributor

Thanks @Determined. Am keeping a watch out for you at the moment too.

💜💐💕 Hugs @Smc 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Ta peoples...

Younger Daughter may have had a smaller part in the incident than reported. Am encouraging her to make sure she's not in the picture at all if there's a "next time".

She's having a day off school today. We're having trouble doing our everyday stuff at home, so it doesn't seem reasonable to expect her to function in the much more demanding environment of a schoolroom.

Older Daughter was in hospital again last night, symptoms that led to a diagnosis of haemorrhoids. So she'll have another round of surgery sometime in the near-ish future. And because of the complexity of the surgery last week, she needs to return to the 200km away hospital for a follow up appointment next week. They were hoping to have her followed up by a local surgeon, but no go. With a bit more warning, the second trip should be less stessful.

Am feeling somewhat better myself today, may that continue!

Former-Member
Not applicable

I can empathise with the "delayed reaction" @Smc

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc  ... thinking especially of you at this so very difficult time.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.