Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Complaints about treatment in hospital.

Hi,

would anyone know the correct avenue to submit a formal complaint about a hospital admission? Is there an ombudsman? 
I've just spent the last 3 months in hospital and at the first hospital I was at I was misdiagnosed and not treated for my symptoms. I want a formal investigation as to why that happened, it almost led to the loss of my life and was highly traumatic to experience. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Complaints about treatment in hospital.

I go backwards in hospital (emotionally that is). I've concluded:

HOSPITALS ARE THERE TO SAVE LIVES, NOT TO HELP THEM GROW

Just like a band-aid

Ya gotta do the work yourself

Your GP might know what's the best avenue to take here.

TigerT,

I feel your pain.  I had a horrific experience in a hospital as well.

I was released because my partner managed to get me out and into a private facility.  I have come to learn through a medical professional my story is not unique.  I believe there is a sea of stories that are similiar of mistreatment, including violence towards us by other patients: in reality being hurt by other patients without reason.  Where I was they had all these brochures around the mental ward about having rights and having those protected where I was.  I tried to complain before I left to a senior staff member which was flatly ignored.  It's all for show.

What can you do? 

1. You can complain to the facility's complaint's body.  They need to have a complaints procedure by law.  It should be investigated, but I'm not sure whether I would trust them to investigate it properly.
  2. You could telephone Legal Aid as I think that would be impartial.  I'm sceptical that a complaints body in the hospital would perhaps want to protect themselves and are actually to mitigate claims against them, not to be impartial and assist you.
  3. I think you need to protect yourself.  I think that you would feel better from the outcome if you have someone you feel is working to protect your rights and gain the best outcome .  Don't let yourself get overwhelmed and take care of yourself first and foremost as this will take toll on you trying to recover.
  4. Legal Aid I think may give you impartial assistance and/or direct you to the correct complaints body. 
  5. MyselI made an initial complaint but did not go through with it.  Haven't decided whether I will yet as I'm still pretty fragile from their treatment, the mental scars have given me PTSD.  Professional medical practitioner asked me if I was ready to deal with the complaint mentally.  I haven't been so I have not gone through with it yet.  When it's fresh you may need to decide are you ready to deal with it and also effects of what happened.

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed and take care of yourself first and foremost.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.