Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

AnxiousMe
Senior Contributor

Antidepressants :-(

Hello can someone please help me?

i am currently on antidepressants  for OCD anxiety 

i have one left until i hit the 28 day mark 

but I don’t feel any better if anything i feel worse. I don’t so much feel anxious just “Blah” like im going to be stuck like this forever never being able to feel happiness or joy again. Doesn’t Help that my OCD is centred around my mental health failing liike scared i am going to get or going thru dimenture or lose my mind in some way i am only 27. My question is for anyone who is taking antidepressants  does it get better? I feel like I wasn’t depressed before i started taking it but i have been highly anxious before it so maybe its just i am mentally tired i dunno 😞 i just want to be me again 

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Antidepressants :-(

hi @AnxiousMe and welcome
i dont currently take anti-depressents however i have in the past and i found them helpful. it did take some time to frind the right ones though and usually can take up to 6-8 weeks to see a difference. sometimes an increase in the dose is required or a change in meds if the side effects are too unbearable or that your not finding them helpful
i think it would be worth having a chat to your gp or your psychiatrist about how your feeling as well.

@outlander Thank you for the reply 

I went to the gp about 2 weeks ago and he said the 6-8 weeks but was just curious if anyone else had the same sort of “blah” feeling almost like you have lost your ability to be happy almost like i am thinking it but my body wont produce it sounds weird i know

i was told it would get worse before it got better.

@AnxiousMe
yep i have felt very blah on medications before and did go through a it gets worse before it gets better stage as well. i tend to get very anxious so i was put onto a calmer sort of anti-depressent which then brought out my depression. after increasing a few times though it got better. Hopefully thats the case for you as well

Hopefully 😞 ill stick with it for a couple more weeks and se how i go. There are plenty of people on the net saying it may be bad now but gets much better just hope it does before Christmas so i can be happy with my son

@AnxiousMe Yes I have felt "nothing" before while taking anti depressants.  Normally when I start a new anti depressant or when an anti depressant is increased.  At that time I worry that I am too numb.  But eventually I feel better and that nothingness or numbness goes away. Except one time when my dose was too high. 

@utopia Hopefully it gets better i just feel like im disconnected to my feelings in a sence i read that its the brains defence mechanism for feeling to much negative emotion as i was in a very anxious state for months before i went onto antidepressants I wasn’t really depressed just really anxious, i am going to my gp in a couple of days to talk to him about it just not sure he will understand lol

@AnxiousMe if it helps you to explain it you could write it down
a few points could be just from your posts:
- feeling disconected to feelings
-feeling low or numb
- Lacking feelings of enjoyment
- feeling worse since starting the medications.

@outlanderThat works, im not sure if its the medication or just my overthinking/anxiety I don’t believe i have a dissociative disorder as i have really only felt the sence in the past week or 2 probably only ever felt the feeling once in my life 7 years ago when my worst bout of OCD started so im leaning more towards A symptom of my Anxiety my brains “defence mechanism” for be too overworked i have read alot about it which I probably shouldn’t haha 

doesnt help that with OCD i think about the symptoms more

@AnxiousMe thats ok its still important to note, if youve really only started feeling this way since starting the medications it may be that. something to consider i guess as well is even though the numbness isnt ideal, is better than having uncontrolled anxiety.. all things to discuss with your gp of course.

if its your anxiety/overthinking more recently has something triggerred you at all to amke you more anxious than usual?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.