Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

mrskode
New Contributor

18 year old daughter, not speaking to me, wants to move out, suffers from anxiety

I found out today that my 18 year old daughter has been manipulating my 8 year old daughter into spying on our coversations, to find out what we have been saying and then report back to her.
Hubby and I managed to have a 5 minute talk with her. She denies the behaviour, she tried to blame our 8 year old. Hubby and I told her that she has to change her behaviour if she wants to continue living with us. Or alternatively she can find accommodation and move out. The choice is hers to make. she admitted that she is hurt and confused. We made it clear that she doesn't have the right to take it out on us. We love her and are trying to help her. We have been copping constant disrepectful behaviour for 5 weeks now. Not sure what will happen now but it is affecting my mental health.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: 18 year old daughter, not speaking to me, wants to move out, suffers from anxiety

Hey there @mrskode  I am so sorry to hear about this, it's good you got to speak with your Daughter and she owned that she was feeling hurt, that's a big step in vulnerability for her.

I am really sorry to hear your mental health has been affected by the affliction between your Daughter and the rest of the family. Would you consider attending family therapy with Hubby and Daughter? I would also recommend checking out ReachOut's parent coaching program here in case you qualify Heart And as always the SANE Community is here to listen 🙂 Heart 

Re: 18 year old daughter, not speaking to me, wants to move out, suffers from anxiety

Hi @mrskode, it does sound like a tough situation. We're sorry to hear that it's impacting your own mental health, are you able to talk about how you are currently feeling with your husband away from the kids? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.