Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Judi9877
Community Guide

Happy World Bipolar Day 2021

Hi forum friends! Just letting you know that today is World Bipolar Day, a day where we celebrate all things bipolar on the international stage, including Australia!

To all forumites who have Bipolar as a mental health condition or as one of many conditions, I salute you and am proud of all of your achievements to the world of mental health, highs, lows, manic periods, the whole lot, as you are each magnificent individuals. You each individually deal with a lot of things and I for one, am very proud of you. 

I did some research and found some interesting facts from the Bipolar Australia and World Bipolar Day 2021 webpages. They are:

- Bubbles are associated with bipolar as people with this MH condition are described as being bubbly. The bubbles when blown up represent the high periods and the popping of the bubbles represent the low periods.

- The famous artist Vincent Van Gogh was thought to have had bipolar because of his paintings. 
- Bipolar disorder has both depression and mania but can often take a long time to be diagnosed because of some people having different moods associated with the condition, such as more depression than manic periods.

Enjoy your day special people🥳!

Judi9877💐☺️

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Happy World Bipolar Day 2021

Hi Judi 9877

it took 34 years for me to get correctly diagnosed with bipolar, and it was a revelation when I was. Even though I have been diagnosed with bipolar, I live with a lot of depression. I don't seem to have the bipolar mania of highs but if life gets excessively stressful I end up having a psychotic episode and end up in hospital .

Thanks for listening to me, roses 🌹 

Somewhere in the world it is still World Bipolar Day (I'm writing this past 2.30am). I have bipolar. Despite the pain and especially chronic depression and anxiety, I feel that I have lived a rich life in some ways, more adventurous than I may have otherwise. I find bipolar very hard to live with. It has also brought to my life some big blessings. Blessings to all.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, which in my case, is schizophrenia + bipolar. Over the years, I have learned to enjoy the highs, as zany as they usually are, because when I fall into the lows, they can be quite unbearable, as I am sure many people can relate. I am medicated, which seems to compress the highs and lows, so they are not as intense. Trying to explain to people that the meds are a treatment that help cope but not a cure that takes it completely away is an uphill battle. But yeah, it is what it is. 

Thank you so much for making this thread @Judi9877

I have seen a few other members celebrating World Bipolar Day across the forums in the Re: writing as a form of therapy thread and Let`s talk about Bipolar Smiley Happy

Hi there, mines more depression than mania, l feel as though l'm always chasing people/friends to catch up for a coffee etc. It's always me to initiate the meeting or chase them. I can't work out why people don't chase or ask me. I know you don't know me, but l'm friendly obliging and would do anything for anyone. I'm just becoming paranoid on top of all the other stuff. Confused.. Happy belated bipolar day 💕❤✌

gday roses 

35 years for a diagnosis..? Sheesh, I thought I'd had it hard having to wait 15.... You are obviously someone of great strength and determination to keep yourself going through life for that long without appropriate help. Big respect right there.

Most of us suffer more from depression than mania, so you're not alone there. Also, (hypo) mania can be either euphoric or dysphoric. Mine is dysphoric, so I turn into a fast-thinking ball of inconsolable rage that tries to take down everyone around me, as how I'm feeling is obviously their fault (ooops!).

Psychosis sucks the big red one - sorry you have to try to manage that. Mine is mainly hearing voices, but they always abuse, ridicule and generally give me crap. And because they come from my head, they always know exactly how to be as destructively offensive as possible.

Oh yeah, happy bipolar day for whenever it was. Certainly worth celebrating...

Billy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.