Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

Gardening

Does anybody else like gardening here? 

I am a qualified landscape gardener but I work in a nursery just part time at the moment with general plant stuff. 

I really enjoying gardening and I know a lot about different plants. 

We’re growing a veggie patch at home, we moved into this place about 10 months months ago and the garden was a complete mess, but lots of fruit trees and things but the old tenant was just too old to care for it, so I got into the garden and now we get most of our veggies from our own garden which I think it’s pretty cool. There is a local food swap near us so we’ll often swap for different things we don’t need or need more of. At the moment we have excess spinach, witch no one seems to be able to get at the shops! 😵💫

I didn’t have a very good night sleep but I worked this morning and then came home to do to do more gardening at our house and I realise how much the sun really makes everything feel 10 x better. 

43 REPLIES 43

Re: Gardening

Just love gardening @ArraDreaming. Unfortunately, at my unit, there is only a concrete yard and I'm restricted to outdoor and indoor pot plants. I've been able to grow some herbs and a few leafy greens over the years, but at the moment I only have rosemary and mint. Nothing edible seems to be growing, not even my pansies which have been stagnant since planting them a couple of months ago. It's probably the season, but I wouldn't have thought the nursery would sell punnets of flower plants out of season.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say 'hello'. I've been outside for a walk to take in a dose of the magnificent Winter sunshine today and now it's back inside preparing for thoughts of dinner preparation in a while.

I hope you're well. I send best wishes, and it's good to meet another gardener!

Rhye
Senior Contributor

Hey @ArraDreaming, I love gardening too, and love that you've started this thread 😊

There's really nothing like growing something from a tiny seed and helping it flourish! It sounds like your knowledge could come in handy in the forums community for people like myself and other gardeners such as the wonderful @Historylover.

In fact, I have a question for you...do you happen to know if there are plants out there that ward off leeches? We've had a lot of rain around and it seems to have brought the leeches to the yard and wow, safe to say they are an unwanted yard guest!

@Rhye @Historylover 

It is the one thing I feel like I’m actually smart in. A customer will come in and ask what does this plant need and I’ll just know, it’s amazing to me that I just know stuff, I’ve never felt very smart or knowledgeable in anything before… 

Your question Rhye, I don’t know but I don’t think there is unfortunately, no plant in particular really deter them just based off the top of my head.

If you put what you just asked me into google there is an equiry to Burkes Backyard and Don has answered with a couple of ideas and why it might be happening . 

@Historylover there are some flower seedlings at the moment although limited, speaking of herbs we had a really good crop of basil this year, made lots of pesto, all over now though  

Gee, I've never heard of leeches in gardens outside of rainforests, @Rhye. I had a google and it doesn't seem to be a quick fix problem. Perhaps our resident garden lover here will have a cure, but otherwise google or youtube it. They seem to suggest a certain combination of salt, lemon juice and copper sulfate, from memory–but I'd start with a bit of salt direct on the offenders! Good luck!

Lucky you with your basil, @ArraDreaming. I just haven't been able to grow it for years. Perhaps I should get more reputably branded seed. I'll keep trying when the weather warms up. Other than that, I seem to have a resident dove which may like to snack on my seed, and sometimes I think sowing seed followed by heavy rain may drive the seed too deep. I'll keep trying.

Rhye
Senior Contributor

It's brilliant that you've been able to identify a skill set that sounds inate for you @ArraDreaming. Some people go their whole lives without being able to tune in to their strenth/s AND you've been able to find employment where you can share that knowledge and skill with others. I think that's actually a pretty big deal so I'm celebrating that for you today 😊

Bow
Senior Contributor

I love to garden. Mostly an indoor plant person, but have ventured outside with some plants under the pergola. I’ve tried a number of times to do veggies but haven’t had much luck…. May have to try again soon as veggie prices go up. I do like the idea of growing our own veg. 

Given the opportunity, I think I would love plants @ArraDreaming . But currently, all I grow are weeds. Honestly, I just don't make time for gardening. Once I get out there, it's pretty relaxing though.

I got a lovely plant last year. It's called Angel Tears. It's gorgeous.

I'm so glad you can share your loves with us @ArraDreaming . Do you children love the garden as much as you?

Hey @Historylover ! Great to see you! Thinking of you and hope you are well.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.