Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mee1955
Contributor

how stigma and labels affect me

Hi all. i am really upset. I was diagnosied with BPD 18 years ago. I was a really  bad self harmer.and was labelled as an attention seeker  and put into a box as  as a frequent flyer(presents to hospital a lot),a waste of space and other things. I did some theropy and changed a lot .I dont self harm much anymore and rarely need to go to the hospital. However the label still sticks. I have had a rough trot lately and have had to go to the hospital. i found that they werent accepting that I have changed and they dont take me seriously that I am suicidal . The label is stuck forever. So I cant get the support from the hospital  that I need. This makes me feel totally hopeless and abandoned. I dont know why mental health illnesses are treated of so differently from physical illnesses. I as so mad and lost . I think to help stop the stigma against mental health it should start at the hospital I dont have friends and are really struggling with my self esteme ,feelings and purpose in life If you are told ofIten enough how useless and a waste of space you are you believe it.It is just so hard to struggle though each day.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: how stigma and labels affect me

Hi @Mee1955
Its sounds like you are having a really difficult time with those around you supporting you. It's so great to hear that your self harming and hostpital vistiations have significantly reduced. 

I know that @Bast and @girl99 had similar concerns around stigma and feelings of judgement 

@Mee1955 you can also check out their thread here 

Hi Lovely Mee 1955

Unfortunately you so get it. The label is way beyond any post it note it is in actuallity a tattoo on your forehead. The PH system is apalling and I know because I work in it, not for much longer though. The judgemental attitudes, the stigma and prejudice govern all presentations. 

I have read reports that have applied multiple labels to people, often highly contentious. So much for legitimate help seeking for MH sufferers. And self harming behaviours - the horror instigates further truama. Great outcome isn't it?

Mee 1955, you have done well to seek support, Perhaps community mental health services may be of benefit to you. Check it out please. 

I have also found great support from a considerate GP - no judgement whatsoever, just fix the injury as necessary. 

No one actually gets the internal pain that becomes so overwhelming that it has to be externalised, unless you have experienced it.We get it!

Pleae be kind to you

Many thoughts Bast

@Mee1955my heart goes out to you. Labels and Stigma make beibng unwell (or being unwell in the past) so much harder. It can be a lonely road. I rarely talk about my illness if ever and this week confided in a friend and sadly it didn't go well at all. People judge and some labels seem almost impossible to shake. One thing that makes a difference for me is having a Peer Support Worker. They are on the increase. A Consumer (can't stand that word) who has a lived experience of Mental Illness and 'get's it'. You don't even have to talk about it but it's good to just have another person who you feel comfortable and connected with. The journey isn't quite so lonely. I don't know where you live but Mind Australia connect people with Peer Support Workers or may be able to steer you in the right direction. You are not alone but it can really feel like it sometimes. Arranging yet another worker or talking to yet another service provider can be the pits sometimes but I can highly recommend Peer Support Workers as they aren't there to be or do anything... just to 'be' and 'connect'. Might be worth considering. *hugs

Hi @Mee1955
I'm so sorry that you are having this experience of stigma over such a long time and are not getting the support that you deserve.
I think after a while our 'conditions' are just kind of normalised to us, in that many mh workers just seem to accept that this is your lot in life and must think something like 'well i've tried... they just dont want to be better, dont try to be better' etc and seemingly give up, and then dont recognise changes when they do occur, or when changes happen they attribute them to everything 'they' have done (lol my psychiatrist). (I am lucky i have a psychologist who is amazing and certainly hasnt given up though...)
I think @Bast and @MissG have written such great replies, while its disheartening to hear of such similar circumstances, its always good to find others who can empathise (if only we could do more!)...

@Mee1955. I really hope you have found some comfort and support via this forum. I can relate to not having many friends. It can be an isolating life but I think the community at SANE is a great one. I agree with Bast, it could be worth checking out the community mental health service. I have used them in the past and found them to be very supportive and understanding so it's worth a shot. Also, sometimes I remind myself that some of the greatest people in history suffered mental illness and were often alone. I think mental illness helps you see the world a little differently which can actually be a good thing. Stay proud and embrace your differences.

Hi @Kef and @Mee1955

Your kindness, understanding and support are invaluable. Mee1955, your willingness to send your heart to me really matters, I send mine and my thoughts back to you. You are both so accurate, being "different" is isolating and the predudice and stigma are overwhelming. Mee1955 - you are very brave to share and yes i have lost friends from attempting to be authentic. Having the audacity to be the person that I am. The results are usually so damaging and unfortunately become the subject of victim blaming and very unpleasant "gossip" 

Behave as normal is the requirment - no matter what (BTW what is normal - is it arrogance, supreme self confidence and the ability to systematically hurt others?)

Thank you @Kef for your considerate reply - it is so wonderful to just be heard. 

This will result in a somewhat soggy keyboard, a good thing, having been trained out of the expression of emotion at work - OMG having any weakness in PH in my case and for all others will lead to an IME assessment.

Lotsa luv and thoughts Bast

Thank You @Bast@kef@Former-Member@MissG@LouLouMagoofor your great supprt . It si so helpful to know I am not alone and some people do care lots of love Heart

Hi All today i went to a private psychiatrist  for the first time. It was scary for me but Oh how different from the treatment at the hospital .He is going to fix my meds .It will  be  good not to have to deal with the hospital anymore. I just have to hang in there for a bit .hopefully I can as at the moment I am struggling to stay here 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.