Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Confused_Mama
Casual Contributor

Stuck and confussed

Hi, I am new to this forum, I posted this yesterday as an introduction and it was suggested that I repost as a discussion topic. Thank you to everyone who has already provided comments - this seems like the right place to be for advice and support..

My eldest daughter (18) has been battling mental health issues for 2 1/2 years and has been working towards finishing year 11/12 part-time (and doesn't attend very often), she is on the home straight, but in the last few weeks things seem to be getting on top of her, and she is stuck. She sees a pyshologist weekly but is facing a change as she is now 18. She been suffering from depresssion and anxiety and been through a DBT program for BPD symptoms. She has also received a diagnosis for ASD, which she refuses to accept or even talk about (hopefully this will change). Currently, she is also going through a change in medication. Similar to other posts I have read here, we are never quite sure what each day will bring. Until recently I have been working part-time, while managing her condition and the rest of the family. Recently my younger daughter (14) is now also avoiding school (following an incident). As a result I have had to take time off work to manage my own health as well as their care. I am now very confussed, I have decided to take more time off work to help them both get through the next few months (my husband is supportive), however my older daughter seems to be getting worse having me around, she is interpreting all my attempts to provide help and support as critisim and her episodes of shutting down and dysfunction seem to becoming more frequent. I'm scared that she is going to use my presense as an excuse for not performing and I'm scared of going back to work while home life is like this as I know that I won't cope, and my family commitements make me a disruptive employee. Today has been long and unproductive, it is the coaching and waiting and repeating and witnessing the meltdowns that makes me feel quite useless.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Stuck and confussed

Your children are very fortunate to have such caring parents. Being carer for anyone with BP is a difficult path, and it is important you do not forget to keep yourself healthy first. I wish you all our kindest wishes for you and you family to get through the difficult times ahead.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.