Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ComplexityQueen
Contributor

Schizophrenic partner

I have been told to create boundaries but he makes it impossible.  He screams when he doesn't get what he wants.  If I leave, he chases me down the street screaming at me. I don't want to cause a scene or have someone contact Police, so I always just go back to him..suggestions??

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Schizophrenic partner

@ComplexityQueen  Hi ComplexityQueen 🙂 I know you know this but by going back to him all the time you are enabling the behaviour. You just have to go. If the police are called so be it. They have dealt with situations like this many times before so nothing would shock them. What is more you are not helping your partner by going back as soon as he starts this set of behaviours it is stunting his growth as an individual. Just go and have trust in him. greenpea

Hi @ComplexityQueen, it sounds like you're going through a tough situation. You mention that you don't want to cause a scene, but how do you feel when you go back especially if you have to create boundaries (was this from a psychologist or GP)? 

No, not a Therapist. I have just heard in different groups and stuff that boundaries are important in these situations. 

It's hard because it's not him, he gets so unwell.

It is hard @ComplexityQueen, have you been able to chat to your GP to get some assistance?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.