Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Madison2022
New Contributor

Schizophrenia and Tea/Herbal Drinks

I am aware that alot of Tea and Herbal tea interact with schizophrenia treatments. Has anyone found a Tea that could likely not interact, that's okey for consumption? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Schizophrenia and Tea/Herbal Drinks

Afternoon @Madison2022 and welcome to the SANE forum community! 

My name is Rhye, and I'm a peer support worker in the forums, in a nut shell this means I'm here (as well as the team of online peer support workers @cloudcore @Paperdaisy @flybluebird @tyme) to support the community in pretty much any way they need supporting 😊

If you ever need a moderator you can just throw a @ in front of the word, like this @moderator. You can also tag other members that way too.

I'm going to add a link to the community guidelines here because they're always handy to have if you're not sure whether your post is safe for community consumption. No stress though, just a good thing to throw in the SANE forums goody bag 😊

The other thing I'm going to *carefully* place in the SANE forums goody bag are these amazing community guides:
@CrazyChick @pinklollipop15 @HenryX @maddison @Shaz51 @ShiningStar 
Our community guides are the experts at making new members feel at home, and they also have lived experience with all things mental health and/or caring for someone with a complex mental illness. 

In terms of your question, that's a tricky one. I think it's always best to chat with a trusted GP or the person who prescribed the medication i.e. perhaps a psychiatrist. They're the go-to for information surrounding such matters. I know it might seem like a bit of a pain at times needing to chat with them about things like which tea to drink, but if you're concerned about interactions with things like herbal teas etc then it's usually worth having the conversation with a doctor.

Thank you for bringing the question to the forum and I hope you find the community to be informative, supportive and a safe place to land when you need one.

Rhye ☘️

Hello @Madison2022 and @Rhye 

Welcome to the forum @Madison2022 . I like @Rhye's rundown on the forum and suggestions about some of the people with whom you may be able to connect.

If you click on the following link it will take you to a thread that gives information about connecting with people on the forum. It is detailed, but something to which you can refer as you interact with others.

New Members - A few tips {Please keep this thread ...

Your question about teas and, possibly, other infusions and drinks and their interactions with treatments is not something with which I am familiar. However, it is a question to which people may be able to respond on the thread, "Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health." that you can 'copy and paste' into the search box to access.

I will add the important observation to which @Rhye referred, that any suggestions about appropriate food or drink combinations, with medications or treatments, should be checked with your professional health advisor, doctor or psychiatrist.

I will send a tag connection through "Your Notifications" from the "Food and Beverage Choices ....." thread.

Hoping that you will enjoy your activity with other members on the forum.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi @Madison2022 

I just wanted to reach out and welcome you to the forums - it’s wonderful to have you here 💜

It’s always so exciting to be able to welcome a new face to our community and I really hope that you’ll be able to spend some time exploring the forums and getting to know some of the other members of our community 😊

Our online community is an incredibly vibrant and supportive space that’s full of so many amazing people from all different walks of life 💜 As such, you’ll find a wonderful variety of conversations, events and activities that you’re more than welcome to participate in whenever you feel ready 💜

Sometimes, people find that exploring some of our social spaces can be a really gentle way to ease themselves into community life 😊 With this in mind, our wonderful Community Manager @Daisydreamer, has created a list of some of the social spaces that may be of interest to you 😊

I’ve included the link to this particular thread below, just in case you would like to explore some of these opportunities further:

https://saneforums.org/t5/Social-Spaces/Looking-for-a-space-to-connect-with-others-Find-a-list-of/m-...

In my experience, it can take time to navigate our way around a new online space and find the resources and / or support that we’re searching for 😊 As such, I just ever so gently wanted to say that you’re always welcome to reach back here if you have any questions and I’ll do my very best to guide you in the right direction 💜

Wow! That’s such a great question and I’m a little embarrassed to say that this isn’t something that I’ve overly considered - until now 😊

In my experience, people often assumed that herbal teas were relatively harmless and as such, they didn’t always stop to consider how these may interact with their medications and / or the treatments that we were participating in.

As such, I just wanted to say that I love your insight and thoughts pertaining to safety and how you’re seeking advice to ensure that your choice of tea won’t adversely interact with any other treatments 💜

Although unfortunately, I can’t answer this particular question for you, as one of our lovely Peer Support Workers @Rhye suggested, I also just ever so gently wondered if there’s a medical professional that you would feel comfortable to reach out to for some guidance in relation to this?

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @Madison2022 that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them 😊

Please remember that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to 💜

I look forward to seeing you around the forums and talking with you again 💜

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.