Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

kindminds
New Contributor

New to the forum and full time caring

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and thought it would be a great opportunity to get some support and advice from others who understand my experience. I am quite young, and approximately 8 months ago my twin brother entered his first psychotic episode, he has since been diagnosed with schizophrenia and is still currently in psychosis after a long period of time and multiple medication changes due to issues with compliance. 

I was with him when he was diagnosed as i live interstate but upon visiting noticed something was wrong and advocated for some time to get him help. He has now moved interstate to live with me as our parents are rather unsupportive and not understanding and have cause significant trauma to both him and i. I am now his full time carer, trying to support him and get him the right support whilst pursuing a masters degree and working. It has been a lot, and this journey has been uniquel isolating in that it is extremely difficult for others to understand. He is my best friend, and the person i love the most, he won’t talk to anyone else, and i am grateful that he trusts me and feels safe in my home… but i can’t help but think this is the rest of my life… and i have just lost my life to care for my brother. I would never not do this, he means the world to me and he deserves love, support, care and kindness, it is just a difficult journey 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: New to the forum and full time caring

Hello @kindminds and welcome to the forum 

Letting you know that you are not alone my friend 

Has you brother have a support team ??

And do you have some support of you own as it is very important to look after yourself as well 

Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope ) is a good thread to click on to and also Carers Hints and tips to Success is another one 

I have tagged @outlander , @Determined , @Smc , @Faith-and-Hope , @Anastasia , @greenpea 

If you like a chat or you have any questions please ask 

@moderator , @Rhye , @tyme 

Hey @kindminds, welcome! 💛

First of all, what an incredible thing you have done for your brother. I am so sorry to hear that your family have not been a supportive place for you both.

It sounds like you have a huge amount on your plate right now. Caring is a full time job in itself, let alone completing a Masters degree and working! A lot of people can certainly relate to the isolation, too. Suddenly your life looks very different and much of it can revolve around caring. 

I hope that this can be a space where you can share your experience and gain support - we have a wonderful community here 🙂 

I will also list some good carer resources, just in case:

Carers Australia

1800 242 636

Carers Australia is the national peak body representing Australia’s carers for all health conditions. It advocates on behalf of carers to influence policies and services at a national level. Services are provided by a network of State and Territory Carers Associations, including counselling, advice, and information.

Carers online support

An online eight-session course from Carers Australia, providing mental health foundations for carers new to their role.

Mental Health Carers Australia (formerly ARAFMI National)

1300 554 660

Mental Health Carers (formerly ARAFMI) Australia is a collective of organisations whose members have a relative or friend affected by mental illness. These organisations may have different names depending on the State and Territory where you live. Mental Health Carers Australia present the views and perspectives of carers and advocate for changes and services to improve the lives and wellbeing of people affected by mental illness, including carers and family members.

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (MIFA)

1800 985 944

The Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia is a membership organisation, representing at the national level, the interests of its member organisations and people affected by mental illness. MIFA has member organisations operating in most States and Territories.

Young Carers Network

Young Carer Bursary (closed for 2022, but applications for 2023 open in July): https://youngcarersnetwork.com.au/bursary/young-carer-bursary/

Mind Australia

Tandem Carers - Young People Support

I hope this can be helpful for you. I'm really glad you are here to share your story 

Take good care of yourself 🌻

Kind regards

Peregrinefalcon

Hello @kindminds 

Schizophrenia is such a serious diagnosis for your twin brother.  It might also be scary  personally and there are all the genetic questions. 

It is a huge responsibility and I wish you the best with it, but you do need support for yourself which I hope your brother's MH team realise.

I have been in a position with siblings being diagnised similarly, and providing long term after hospital care.

I am guessing you are not "identical" twins. 

What is your field? 

It is probably unique in the sense of interest in the twin aspect. 

I love my family too. A good approach ican to cultivate some recognition of allowiung his strengths to come forwar and some difgnity of risk.  It is REALLY HARD to be a carer of same age sibling.  There could also be some gain from family systems work as personal "identity' for twins can be so close.  I hope his team is good.

Take Care

Apple

Hi @Peregrinefalcon 

I am full time carer also for someone with schizophrenia. Thankyou so much for posting these links, I did not know some of this support was available, & am very keen to look at the course you have linked.

@kindminds thankyou for reaching out. I am in similar situation. I have been a support person for a friend diagnosed with schizophrenia for many years, we are close in age. I understand the concept of sacrifice that you are expressing. A huge thankyou @Peregrinefalcon to see there is support out there. If you would like to chat further, please let me know. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.