Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jeebeezx
Casual Contributor

It's sad

Anyone on social media will know what I mean when I say this. Has anyone ever seen those people who put up posts about mental health awareness but tbh they actually don't care about mental health they just put it up for likes and attention? I have those on mine and thinking it was legit I msged one of those "friends" that day on their mental health awareness posts that they are here if you need to talk... I msged them opening up... They ignored my msg even though they read it. Why is it that family and friends will help everyone else but the person who has been suffering the longest? I try to reach out to family and friends and all I get when I say how I feel is the good old "I'll just turn my head and ignore that" yeah I get those a lot. That's why my feelings are kept away from other people. It hurts a lot because they aren't concerned about me but when it's another family member who is depressed or in crisis oh mighty lord they help they give guidance. I don't don't understand. I guess one day when I get the balls to not live they might think again and blame themselves. So for now I keep to myself and not bother telling anyone how I feel and act like I'm a normal person with stable emotions and the will to live. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: It's sad

Hello @Jeebeezx. At writing, you have received no replies yet. Maybe some will respond soon. It happens sometimes that we seem to go into down time together, and there can be little response. It's awful when we reach out and no-one responds, so I'm just writing to let you know that I have read your post. We do all care about each other here, but sometimes our own problems are overwhelming us.We are all doing it tough, some more than others, and at different times. 

I don't have any solution for your problems, I'm afraid. If I could solve my own, I'd give my methods away to those who need help and are not getting it. I can only say, I read your post, I care, and I wish you well. I hope others will be along to respond soon.

maddison
Senior Contributor

Hey @Jeebeezx thanks for sharing what is going on for you at the moment.

Sounds like you are feeling ignored, dismissed & very undervalued. 

Your feelings are valid.

It's not ok for other people treat you this way.

You did a good job of exposing what is happening for you.

Even the smallest gesture can make us feel appreciated. It sounds like no one has done that for you lately. 

Social media platforms like FB can be wonderful resources. I personally don't like it, or use it. 

Do you chat to many members here on SANE?

I find people here are much more understanding of all sorts of differences. 

I know you mentioned that one day you might be brave enough to end it all. Do you think maybe talking to a service like suicide helpline might help? You don't have to be actually thinking of suicide today - but maybe talking to a real person who knows about & understands these feelings, might help?

If you want to continue reaching out here that ok too 💚

mental-health-services-infographic-47ea1a.png

  

Perhaps chatting with a counsellor at SANE might be good?

Sending you 💚 @Jeebeezx 

@hanami 

@Jeebeezx 

You reached out.. you did the right thing. You can't control what they do and quite frankly, they don't seem like a friend anyways so for me, that kinda stuff just gets them deleted off my friends list. I don't have time in my life for only facebook friends.  There either real friends who care or they can go be someone else fake friends. 

chibam
Senior Contributor

I don't go on social media these days, @Jeebeezx . But I'm fully aware of the virtue-signalling culture on there. I think that's just the general trend with the subjects of "mental health" and suicide throughout our society. Everybody wants to look like their one of the new breed of good guys who "care"; but very few are actually willing to get involved with anyone who is abnormal.

And of the handful that are prepared to get involved, most are only interested in exploiting the suffering person's desparation to bully them into play-acting some role they don't truly want.

I know full well what it's like to be ignored, as you say.

People just want people like us to go away; yet they are trapped in the paradox that it is taboo within their culture to admit they want us to go away, so they just lock up.

Hey @Jeebeezx ,

I have read your post, and I've been doing a lot of reflecting.

From my experience, I find that many people are actually afraid of talking to people with MH. As much as they want to acknowledge it exists, knowing it is happening to a friend etc. is quite frightening.

Before being trained in mental health, I really felt I couldn't help those who came to me. It was beyond me, and I was not equipped with the skills to help these people.  It was a scary thing when people who are close confided in me, because I really did not know what to do.

I'm sorry you are feeling let down in a way, however, I hope these forums will provide a space for you to open up and share your thoughts and feelings with others.

Take care, tyme

hanami
Senior Contributor

Hi @Jeebeezx 

Gosh what an awful thing to happen to you. You were so brave to show your vulnerability but then met with ignorance and indifference. I'm so sorry that happened to you. 

@maddison is right, reaching out here is most likely to be more beneficial. I also get annoyed on social media when people share things about mental health awareness but I know for a fact they have made derisive comments about people with a diagnosis. To me these people aren't worth worrying about. They are all about 'putting on a show' for their social media. Coming across as a good person etc etc but really they are all about sort of showing off. 

How are things with you today? I hope you can find some comfort in the replies you've received and can feel brave enough to keep reaching out and sharing. 

Sending hugs

Hanami

Flotsam
Senior Contributor

I am sorry this is happening for you @Jeebeezx and I don’t know why it is like that. I do know there are people I can talk to and people that would not be good for me. I often don’t know what to say. 

I do know the immediate family I was born into isn’t my place to find counsel, my chosen partner is my rock, I try not to burden my children. 

I guess what I am saying is you need to find someone, maybe start with your gp, ( a mental health plan can get you some psychologist appointments), or suicide call back line might help in an emergency (I found them great recently). I hope you find someone to listen soon. 

Yep totally agree @Flotsam . We all need that one person who's totally on our side. That person that will stick up for us no matter one. And if it's not someone we know, we can find it in a health practitioner/support worker etc. 

❤️

HI @Jeebeezx , how are you today?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.