Forums Home

Carers Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with mental illness, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Introduce yourself here

Hello, I am feeling totally alone and so utterly useless living without a clue as to how to help my daughter

1) I love my daughter too much, if that is possible 

2) mental illness affects the whole family

3) No one truly understands unless you are in the same scenario

Hi,

I have two children with mental illnesses and I have joined the forum to be a part of a supportive community; giving and receiving support, knowledge, ideas and information. 

I have lived in 7 different countries.

I am a singer of blues, rock, country, jazz, gospel.

I speak Spanish fluently.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.

Cheers,

ISingThe Blues

Hello @just_me I am Iris, one of the moderators for the forums, welcome  :-)

Like you I like horses though living in the city doesnt give me the joy of being near them and I do love my garden too :-) I guess I am a bit different as I am a bit of an extrovert. 

Your situation does sound tough so I guess being near horses and enjoying the garden would be balms to your soul. 

There is lots of support from the forum members so please join in with some of the discussion

kind regards Iris

Hello Smiley Happy
I am married
4 children
I have been with my husband for 22 years and married 14
My husband suffered from anxiety depression bipolar he hasn't been in a good way since he lost his sister 3 years ago unexpectedlySmiley Sad

Hello everyone,
Have been living with depression later bipolar disorder n lately ptsd n adhd for almost 10 yrs now.
Just looking for a support group.

I like reading, a good laugh and walking
Thanks

Good afternoon @clarke, @Uggy78

hello, how are you today ?

hope you have been able to find yourself around the forum

you are not alone @clarke,

HI

Hi everyone, i'm new and probably like many of you have at times, feeling very lost and confused. A bit of background about myself... I am a single mum, 3 kids, my younger brother suicided 8 years ago after a couple of previous attempts prior. I find myself being drawn to men who need help! I have fallen in love with a guy who lost 2 brothers to suicide. I guess its a bond we share. He suffers major depression himself, but it wasn't so bad when we met. in the year we've been together we've broken up and gotten back together a number of times. usually he gets angry about something and breaks it off in anger, then wants back in and I decide that this is too much for me and the kids and decide no its over its been a cycle for us. I broke it off in early september, he sunk into a bad depression, lost his job ( he loses jobs often Smiley Sad ) and then attempted suicide and ended up in the psych ward at the hospital. I was devastated. had to help him clean up from his attempt before he went back home, the whole thing was extremely traumatic as you know how it can be. we started spending time together as i wanted to be as close to possible to him as i still love him very much and we have fallen back into a relationship again. last month he fell into a darkness again, lost his job and then felt suicidal again. I took him back to the hospital and he has been in there for the last 4 or so weeks. he isn't responding to treatment, medication or therapy. he went a bit psyco at my house the other day, scared my son and threatened to break windows etc. same cycle, he took all his stuff and ended things, then wanted back in and i said no, we need to end this. its killing me. i'm trying to be happy and i can't be. i miss him a lot and am very worried about his suicidal plans. they have decided to do ECT on him starting this friday. I want to be there for him because i love him but I also broke it off and that probably makes it worse. I am a mess. so is he. this whole situation is a mess. just looking for support, advice, i don't know what to do Smiley Sad TIA

Senior Contributor

Re: HI

Hi @topsy-turvy,

Welcome to the Forums, and thanks for taking the brave step to post your first post.

From what you've written, it sounds like you love your (ex)partner a lot. You're very insightful to understand what might be behind the attraction to him, and to know that you are in an unhelpful cycle. Having these insights doesn't make things any easier though Smiley Sad 

It's hard trying to support him, while also having boundaries, for yourself and for the relationship too.  I wish I had some easy answers for you. Perhaps you might like to connect with some people who are going through similar experiences to you. @shr started this thread about caring for their partner who has depression. In this discussion @Ven and @Kearo share some of their struggles they have with their partners. @Shaz51 has written about the up and downs of having a partner with depression here@theo-ran wrote about their relationship breaking down because of depression here.

It is really concerning that your (ex)partner has attempted suicide, and has close family take their life too. These factors place him at risk. His safety is very important. Does he have family/friends support? You might find this thread on suicide safety planning.

Also, have you got support? It's also important that you care for you too. You wrote that, you want to be happy. Remember, part of ending a relationship is experience grief. This is normal. 

Hi,
I'm scared and desperate. I am the carrier of my husband thatchas severe depression. Two months ago I discovered that he cheated on me with one ex-girlfriend of more than 25 years ago.

A big warm welcome to all the new people who have joined this year Smiley Happy

@Anne13 - You are not alone. I hope by being part of this community, you feel a little less like you're the going through this by yourself. I can see you have already reached out to another member who has responded here - so I'm really glad you're already connecting with others.

@ISingTheBlues - 7 different countries! I would love to hear what your favourite has been. I hope you're finding this community helpful!

@clarke - welcome Smiley Happy You've come to the right place! If you're looking to connect with others socially, head over to Enjoying time with others - most of those discussions are chatty. If you're looking for discussions about some of the same things you have been through, you can head over to here and use the search box to look up specific diagnosis or terms.

Again, a big warm welcome to you all! Looking forward to 'seeing' you around!

For urgent assistance, call:

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.