Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Moochmouse
Contributor

I am alone

Taken awhile to do this. I know there are others in the same situation.  Stuck at home because of self isolation with auto immune disease,  or other sicknesses.  Three weeks now I have lived within these walls. Both those that I can see and those in my mind. I have seen no one except my husband and our two dogs. A few chats on messenger to family members. 

I don't know how long I can cope with this. I rang my mental health provider and they said they would let my case manager know  that I wasn't doing well and she would ring me. That was three days ago.

I know that they are trying to get me to ring them when I need help, but I cannot be the only one who finds this so incredibly difficult.  I very seldom ask for help, that was how I grew up. You relied on yourself.  But when you cannot do that anymore you retreat inside yourself. And that's when I  realize how small and insignificant I am.

I am trying to keep busy. Taught myself how to quilt. Done housework, all the normal stuff. The days are getting longer and longer. Cannot even bother getting dressed anymore.  Cannot see the point. I guess I am just ranting here and this whole post is probably disjointed.  Thank you for reading it though 

10 REPLIES 10
Otter
Senior Contributor

Re: I am alone

Hey @Moochmouse,

I hear you completely that it is a uniquely stressful time for you. I’m so sorry to hear of the big impact this has all had. I just wanted to drop a post in here to let you know that we really care for you in this trying time and have your back, and know you are not alone. It's so encouraging to see from your post how you are trying so many different things to support yourself and immerse yourself in and reaching out for all the support that you are and please keep going with it. That's all I wanted to say, please do take care and we absolutely here to support you moving forward!

Kind regards,

Otter

I very seldom ask for help, that was how I grew up. You relied on yourself.  But when you cannot do that anymore you retreat inside yourself. 

I feel that. Reach out, we're listening and here to help.

Being a person with immunity issues in these cicumstances I can only imagine how scary this is for you. It's taxing on the mind to deal with the stress of this outbreak even for people like me with great immunity and health. Keep busy and find new ways to fill the time. Maybe start reading some e-books on a subject you're interested in. Its a good way to fill time without needing to leave the house or seek out resources for a physical activity. Wish you all the best, isoL8

Thank you

Thank you. Trying to keep things interesting. Just some days that is so hard.

Hi @Moochmouse 

Just checking in to see how you are today?

Would love to see some photos of your quilt when its all done 🙂

Zahlia

Hey, thanks for asking. Not good today. Struggling with wanting to fall back on habits from years ago. The temptation is very high. Unpicked 2 odd pillowcases and an old skirt to start another quilt. Doing it, but seems so pointless. Didn't even realise it was Easter already. This is day 22 of..... Nothingness

Hi Moochmouse, I just saw this thread and I can relate to it. I currently live in a big city and my family are all out in the country. I have been in isolation since the start of March. I'm going stir crazy and I miss my family. Due to the travel ban to regional areas I'm spending Easter away from anyone. I guess I just want you to know that what your feeling is what I imagine what I'm going through. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I've been starting to crave drinking again. I'm trying to keep myself busy.

Hi Itoqih, I am sorry to read that you are struggling too. I have a husband who now works from home, but for all intents and purposes,  it seems like I am alone, as he has a one track mind that centres solely on computers. .

Being in isolation is really hard, and I can understand the loneliness that you must be feeling.  

Falling back on old habits like drinking, drugs, overdoses etc are not good, but I understand that thought process so very well. Once you get into that mindset it is very hard to get out of it. Stay strong. You have fought and won the addiction fight before so you know how much of a strong person it takes. These are very trying circumstances that we are in, and our minds now have more thoughts to deal with everyday. I know it is not the same but can you face time your family? Over messenger perhaps? Set up the phone at the same time they do, and have dinner 'together ' 

It is really hard to keep busy when for so long that is exactly all one has been doing.

I hear you, loud and clear on that one. Hobbies, old and new can help. Shoot, even as I type this, I can hear your sigh. It just gets harder and harder each day. Stay strong. Reach out to those that can help over the phone, messenger etc. These forums are a good place to start. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Moochmouse . I'm sorry you're struggling and you don't have much support right now. I'm the same, just my psychiatrist, everyone else i've seen online and in person haven't helped me at all, they've just been rude. But that's just my experiences, my Psychiatrist is great, he's the only professional I have since I give up seeking help.

Anyhow, good on you for learning how to quilt. You're right, sometimes you do need to rely on yourself, as hard as it is. I'm sorry you have an autoimmune disease too, that must be hard for you aswell, on top of staying inside. Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.