Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jia1342
Casual Contributor

Helping sibling find a job

Still new to the forums so hopefully I'm posting in the right place. My sibling has thankfully improved significantly after two hospitalisations from Feb-April. They're due to return home this week which my entire family is keen on. Anyway, they're in uni but have intermitted for this semester and want to find a part time uni student job. In the past this has been really difficult applying everywhere and having no luck. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether being an involuntary patient in the mental health inpatient unit and having a community treatment order after that impacts getting a job. Does this show up in background checks and police checks? My sibling has not been in trouble with the law, never taken drugs or even drunk alochol, so it would seem incredibly unfair for this history to show up on medical records for employers to see when their illness (schizophrenia) is completely beyond their control and has not been triggered by substance abuse as seen in many cases. Does anyone know a place that might be able to help a full time uni student find employment? I'm concerned that the rejections/no responses to genuine attempts to seek productivity and purpose in their life will create a sense of despair. 💕💕

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Helping sibling find a job

I am so sorry to hear about this extreme hard time your sibling is going through.  Sometimes I believe the best thing is time, it heals everything, and, eventually everything falls into place. 

however, regarding your advice, I can tell you firstly your best bet is Status, they're an employment agency best office is Morley.  In the meantime you guys can try Seek.com.au as they are pretty reliable.

I wish you well on this quest.  You guys will get there, remember not to give up on them. (Your sibling) like, ever.

cheers

Re: Helping sibling find a job

Hi @Jia1342, and welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

One thing that you should probably look in to is something called "Individual Placement and Support" or IPS. I'm told that it's a system where job assigners actually make sure that the employee is assigned the job that's right for them, and aren't just mindlessly sent to some random job because "a paycheck is a paycheck". So if there's anyone who can actually match your bro/sis with the company that actually wants them, I think one of these IPS people are likely your best bet.

The government is looking to roll this system out for everyone, but at the moment, apparently there aren't a lot of these people around and the whole system is under-resourced. So you might have difficulty actually getting an IPS job-assigner to take on your bro/sis's case.

If that doesn't work out, are you employed yourself? If so, could you reach out to whoever got you your job to see if they can do the same for your bro/sis?

I think it's really awesome that you genuinely want to help your bro/sis. With that in mind, it might be helpful for you to check with them to see if there are any higher priority matters they'd appreciate help with, moreso then their employment situation.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.