Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

JowBlow
Casual Contributor

First time post.

Hi guys, 

I've been considering posting here for quite some time. This might be a little unusual, but I'm not sure who else I can talk to. A little while back, people started telling me that ive begun talking to myself, in moments that I thought were just me thinking. I mostly ignored this, but several months ago this caused me to lose my job when I accidentally and without knowing swore at a woman on a call. (I feel terribly guilty about this). Since then, its been happening more and more, and I am becoming terrified of how I look to other people. I dont have many friends or a social circle, so i thought the isolation may have something to do with it, but the fact that it happened while i was focusing might mean the problem could go deeper. My question is, has anyone dealt with a similar condition, and would this be classified as a possible mental illness? Im terrified to look for another job, as im deathly afraid the same thing could happen again. Im not sure if this falls in this category, but im terrified that ill say something horribly offensive to somebody. Any help is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: First time post.

@JowBlow  Hi JowBlow and welcome to the forums :). Firstly I would pop along to your trusted gp and talk with him/her and be honest about what has been happening to you. It could be many things causing these occurances so don't panic about a possible mental illness just yet. Your gp might suggest seeing a psychologist you can have 8-10 free session using a BOMH package to start with.

Again don't panic just take it step by step and see what happens. greenpeax

I am not a medical expert so I will leave that for someone who is. I talk to myself too. I think most people do. I also been pulled up unknownly. As the saying goes, its when you reply to yourself is the indicator (but again I stress I am not a medical expert but just saying that from old wives tales). Regarding your employment, you should have been given a warning if it was serious. And more appropriately have a confidential discussion. Getting fired over it seem very extreme. Is there an organisation (i.e. union) you can contact (they even give basic advise at times, even if not a member but they cannot represent you etc). I will leave it up to anyone who is professional counsellors to answer your medical question side. I am just someone else who is using this service like yourself. 🙂

Welcome to the forum @JowBlow, do you have a trusted GP that you can talk to about what you are going through?  

Thank you for your concern. It was only a 3 month contract with about 2 weeks left, so if it was a permanent thing I think that I might have gotten a warning instead. The job itself was as a debt collector, which is really probably the most depressing job in the world anyway haha. 

Im actually lucky enough to have avoided the doctor for the last couple of years, but thats definitely a priority moving forward. My concern was mostly whether or not it would qualify as a mental illness or just as a bad habit. My variant does seem a lot worse than average though. Thanks for your concern.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.