Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Carer and consumer

Dear Annabelle,

you sound like an unseen in a crowd superstar. I am happy to read your comments. How are your children doing at school? Both my sons have finished High School. How is your son ? What does he like doing?

Hey there! 

Yep the guitar is great! I'm playing in a little jazz band (quartet) so I had to re-learn things like major 9th chords and minor flat 5 chords and half diminished flat 9 chords, so being the songwriter I am (or try to be) I wrote a song using as many as these type of chords as possible. It sounds OK, but it's REALLY fun to play!!

Hobbit.

I learned guitar as a child but chords eluded me. My daughter settled on guitar after first learning piano and flute then I have to confess that I started lessons again because her third teacher was bloody cute. Officially I was holding her place when she went to see her dad for a couple of months 🙂 He was an awesome teacher though and taught me to play the blues.

Cute teachers..love it! Now define cuteness jt!
I think often it is about how warm the person teaching is, how confidence inspiring they are in terms of encouragement and genuine in their love of sharing their expertise.

That draws me to my kids teachers, and equally repels me when teachers clearly aren't motivated or interested...

Luckily, not too many of those around

I play classical guitar....many years ago but my son just gave me a fenders guitar so.....at moment an ornament in the lounge room but almost ready to practice. I was trying to learn blues about five years ago....in about 10 years....Ille get the hang of maybe two lines....slow
No cute teachers for me but.... I dream em !

hhmmm let me see, visually appealing and very tall with a killer smile.  Cute enough to make me stop the treadmill not only for that half hour lesson but also to practice enough to make him smile every week lol.  

He was also nice to the core, a gifted musician a natural teacher and a devoted family man lol.  

My daughter was about to give up the guitar when he started and he took her to another level with improvisation and taught her some blues riffs and all the old songs she loves.  When he left the music school she opted to just get lessons through her school but he left her with a love for her music that a few years later led her to complete year 12 level music.  

My husband lives with bipolar and I live with severe, chronic, non-situational depression. We've been rejected by NDIS and our only carer supports are delivered through council - who will quit delivery of all services in December for fee-paying providers to fill the gaps for those on Aged Care and NDIS plans.... not for the thousands and thousands like us... The future feels like a train wreck about to happen - as both carer and consumer!
Former-Member
Not applicable

I stand to lose my carer support person @Val due to the similar changes - my husband too functional for NDIS.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.