Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

LostAngel
Senior Contributor

todays question what gives you Hope?

hi everyone just a question that came to mind this afternoon,what gives you hope?     is it people,your family or yourself? is it something thats your favourite Hobby? or is it acheivement? something youve done that your proud of ?                                           or something deep inside you? faith? destiny? a dream ?                                          what gives me hope or more like where I try to find hope is usually from outside myself but I am trying to find myself again and do some internal work what gives me hope might change from one day to the next but right now its Music,Family and Self Aceptance this is what gives me hope for todayHeart 

39 REPLIES 39

Re: todays question what gives you Hope?

I what a good question @LostAngel ,

i wish I knew,  I think my major sadness is that I have lost hope , hope happiness and a future I feel my life is over

peri

that's.. a really hard question. 

i guess, the fact that it might be different. things might change. it might be okay one day. 

i kinda gave up on hope a while ago, i guess. 

Hi @LostAngel and thank you for making this post 🙂 Hope means different things to different people, and also at different stages in the recovery journey. For me it means something different now, as to what it did a few years ago. My hope is my family and loved ones, and meaningful work. 

I'm just going to tag a few more members who might be interested in sharing their thoughts @BPDSurvivor @frog @greenpea @Anastasia @Dadcaringalone @Faith-and-Hope @TAB @Emelia8  @jem80 @Judi9877  @Adge  @Meowmy @NatureLover @outlander @Shaz51 @Snowie @Eve7 @Flying_Hams 

I hope that I will be forgiven one day but if not I hope that I can live with my guilt.

@Daisydreamer @LostAngel hey friends, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hope is so important for our human survival. I think hope is closely related to happiness. I find happiness at work to see others benefit from my efforts. I long lost happiness with my family since my father's abuse.. Guess without hope we can't go on and survive eMotionally.lol.

that I have picked up pieces before and still could do again @Daisydreamer I do not have work atm and and never reallyhad meaningful work, and have next to no family contact

just try and keep self amused while thinking up new schemes and plots. Some work. Some dont. Some take more effort than I can give. There's always. Tomorrow. 

Thank you @Daisydreamer,

ordinarily I'd be philosophical and full of rainbows and unicorns...today I have little hope for much at all really 😞

Hope means different things to different people. For me, hope is a fundamental foundation of my faith, it anchors me, having a inner confidence that things will be different. That promises that are spoken will come to fruition.
In saying that though, it's a rocky foundation at the moment, and when change feels far away, and the layers of disappointment are deep, hope fades. 
I have for a long time, been wanting to have hope tattooed on my wrist. 

I will preface my answer by saying the obvious: I am questioning my will to live every day, so I am not entirely qualified here, but I think this post is a beautiful idea x.

To answer your question, I think my sense of hope comes from the fact that the future is undefined.

In a way, you never know where life is going to take you, but in a way, you do. I feel like I have a future in creative writing, and I'd like to write more before I die. I have never gotten that off the ground, but that would probably make life more enjoyable. I would like to think that there are lots of people I have never met before who can make an impact on my life and vice versa. If I die, I'll never get to form those relationships.

Beyond that, I think the things I enjoy would give me hope.

No matter what happens, there'll always be things I can turn to to make myself feel better and feel engaged in the world around me, even if they feel kind of arbitrary. I was just thinking about how we (or at least I), look on both sides of a piece of toast after every bite to see which side is crunchier, so I face the crunchier, more golden side. I honestly don't know why, but it is so satisfying. Logically speaking, it's completely absurd that something as small as a [...] piece of toast can bring me satisfaction, but it's true nonetheless. For inspiration.

I also benefit from thinking of the positive times, moments when it went right.

I mentioned in the second post I ever made here that I was part of a Facebook support group, and got kicked out. That was very unfortunate, but up to a point, it felt like people were really happy to hear from me, and hear what I had to say.

For example, I had a near-death experience on New Year's Eve, 2019. I also saved a few people's lives indirectly. In my Happy New Year post, I put up a picture and a fairly long "article". The story was fairly deep down. However, one girl "loved" the post and commented on what happened, meaning she read the whole thing. That was HIGHLY flattering, and I miss her a lot.

Thank you 💕.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.