Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

DGoldman
Senior Contributor

When your family are fed up with you

I’m not sure this is the right place to post this 

what does everyone do when your family won’t or can’t support you? I mean support you through depression. Things like ‘you’re putting your depression on me, stop acting this way you have nothing to be upset about, why are you always crying’ I’ve tries explaining that I have an illness just like a flu is an illness but that doesn’t seem to work. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: When your family are fed up with you

I think the only way to get them to understand is to ask them to see your GP and/or counsellor with you. I did this with my son who had recently moved back in with me and it seemed to help to have a professional explain it to him. 

My wife understands as she has he own MH stuff going on. But my biological family doesn't understand and doesn't care to. I called them just once for support when my world was falling apart and they said to me "don't call me call Lifeline" before hanging up on me. I never called again. Kind of gutting that my own family doesn't love me enough to understand (but that's another story), I can't change that I can only change myself.

@DGoldman I hear you, I get told I hold grudges, don’t let things go, fester on stuff that’s not important. I get told to just get over it. After years of it I realise no one around me really cares. Including my husband. I’ve learnt to just keep it to myself now. Don’t talk much anymore, withdrawn etc. it’s not how I want to live but it’s better than having people around me tell me stuff that hurts more than the depression itself.

@Jumpingcactus, checking in to see how you are today and sending you hugs Heart

Hello @DGoldman, @Queenie, @DB65

@Shaz51 Thank you 😉 it’s nice to know someone out there cares. 

hello @DGoldman, how are you today

My husband has MI and does not say much to his family as Depression runs through the family and their attitude is just keep going

I’ve been worse @Shaz51 but family still the same. I’m job hunting and it’s not a good time of year for it. Family’s attitude is similar - just get over it, suck it up, etc etc 

hugs @DGoldman, you are not alone my friend , here for you if you want to talk xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.