Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

TheVorticon
Senior Contributor

Trying to make better choices

I've been feeling impulsive. Maybe as a way to let myself off the hook. Dunno. It would be easy to give in to the thoughts.

Trying to choose something better though.

(Ehhh dunno about tagging here but hi @CheerBear I figured I'd take the leap to make a thread)

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Trying to make better choices

Just trying to choose better is a positive step @TheVorticon 👍

@TheVorticon  Hi the Vortican always good to see you and great that you have made this thread :). 'impulsive' is my middle name without my meds that is. Even the word gets me stirred up internally .... I am a very impulsive creature I am not sure if it is the mi or whether it has always been with me. The mi has probably exacerbated those feelings. I try these days not to react to my inner feelings but sometimes they come out and I have to learn to lives with the consequences.....

Hi @TheVorticon 👋 Really good to see you and to see you taking that leap in making this thread 🙂

Interested in hearing a bit more about what's going on for you, though there's no pressure to share.

How are you finding it to try and choose something better and to not give in to the thoughts? When I'm feeling impulsive it's like a ball of fire inside that takes so much out of me to keep under control :face_with_rolling_eyes:

What sorts of things are 'better choices' to you?

Like I said, no pressure to reply, but keep talking if you'd like. We're listening

😎

It seems like it's a choice between do the thing, or do nothing - go to sleep to pass the time without doing the other thing.
A better thing doesn't seem doable. Or I don't want to do a better thing. I'm not sure.

Yeah it can definitely be hard not to react @greenpea .

It's hard to know what I want to choose or why I want to choose it.

@TheVorticon  Hey The Vorticon so let me get this straight you have 3 things. One which you dont want to do, the other is to go to bed and do neither and then there is the remaining thing which you should do but dont for whatever reason. So you cannot move forward you are effectively stuck in one place.

I m in a similar situation. There is something I should do to get me out of the hole that I am in but I do nothing which continues the problem. So the thing continues out of control and I just stand there doing nothing.. I dont know what the answer is my friend ...... waiting for the right time to effectively force you to take action..... may be one.  I havent been much help but as long as you know that you are not alone. Love peax

Yeah pretty much @greenpea. Although maybe I do want to do the thing I don't want to do. Deep down I shouldn't want to but sometimes it seems like the only way. A way out rather than a way forward, but still a way.

Your situation sounds tough too. Sorry that there's no good answer.

Also thanks greenpea @Zoe7 and @CheerBear. I was afraid I'd put this thread out here then still just be talking to myself lol

@TheVorticon  We are all here for you The Vorticon. Dont forget how valued you are in our community. Just hold on and be strong and above all keep talking. Love peaxxx

@TheVorticon  Good to see you here. Mixed up feeling is something I think we all relate to. You matter, you are important. You are valued.....just as you are. Really hard realities for all of us, and often / always hard and impossible to believe.

Sending 💜💜💜💜💜

Always happy to respond/chat with you @TheVorticon I do clearly remember the 'olden' days when you used to visit the Octagonal room in your Lego corner and used to giggle at your latest Pokemon acquisitions. Having some knowledge of Pokemon from the kids at school helped me follow along with you 👍

Tag me anytime @TheVorticon - I may not always be able to relate to what your are dealing with but more than happy to listen Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.