Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Supporting each other through the floods

Hi SANE Forums Community,

This week has seen a lot of big news, heartbreaking moments, and impacts of flooding for large parts of the east coast of Australia. We have seen a number of large scale natural disasters in the last few years, with many people living with the compounding impact of living through multiple natural disasters including fires, and floods. 

If you are effected by floods or storms, have loved ones impacted by flood, or want to support your community, this is a space for us to connect and support each other through this difficult time. 

Our hearts and thoughts go out to those impacted, and we are here to support you Heart 

If you are effected by flood, there is support available to you:

SANE also has some blogs and factsheets to support you:

Are you impacted by flooding?

Have you got the support you need? What have you been doing to manage your wellbeing at this difficult time?

Send a message of support to those who are impacted and show support to our community

Sitting with you, Daisydreamer and the Peer Support Team 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Supporting each other through the floods

Sending a big ball of support and strength to those in our community living with the impact of the currents floods, as well as those who've been hit with the emotional toll of watching another disaster unfold 💚

Anticipating news, dealing with the aftermath, along side general day to day living with a complex mental illness, it doesn't feel like there is one sufficient thing to say to capture it all – what I can say is you are not alone. If you're reading this and feeling overwhelmed, you ever need a place to land or a place to seek support, I hope that you feel safe here to chat and sit and laugh and even cry (if that's what's present for you). 

Collective gentle thoughts to all.

Rhye ☘️

@Daisydreamer @Rhye and all of our community, thinking of those directly and indirectly impacted by yet another disaster. There are community networks and organisations that can offer a range of support during this time. Reach out and remember there is still hope.

I'm not sure if I support this party yet but I reckon this idea is the sort if thing we should be get onto. They're version is called the Bradfield scheme, which is basically Snowy river styled projects that can drain floods and hydrate droughts.

https://citizensparty.org.au/support-escalates-bradfield-scheme

Also regenerative agriculture sounds like it would help with floods and droughts to (and also be good for sheep-herders and cow-pokes (maybe emu-drivers?)).

88C4A096-20E8-41B5-B27A-0A6A59DEAC93.jpeg

Yesterday I drove over the border into Northern NSW and was heartbroken by the devastation still so obvious. I cried driving along flood affected streets as I witnessed people’s possessions destroyed awaiting pick up.

If any of our Forum family has been affected my thoughts are with you 💚❤️

Hi @wellwellwellnez , This so interesting. I was a renting resident of ground zero for February and March 22 floods in South Lismore. So much lost. It is very tough times here. I can't decide whether to stay or go? I love my incredible community and social networks so important for recovery. However I am thinking of moving to Melbourne for cheaper rent and more opportunities. No easy answers but this 'Bradfield Scheme' does seem like an idea that should be in the mix perhaps? If nothing else this disaster has shown how much can be done when a community pulls together.

I've heard smart people argue that we're better off doing smaller projects @Kali-Tara . I still like the idea of going big. Makes progress more visible. Something to get excited about. Scale can be efficient if you do it right.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.