Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Annabelle4
Contributor

Self Care

How can I take better care of myself? I have a really bad habit of self harming when I need to be taking good care of myself instead. All ideas welcome.

I have “mental health issues” which include PTSD. Nights are the worst time for me. Can anyone else relate?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Self Care

Hi @Annabelle4 Welcome to the forum. I don't have self harm experience but I still struggle with self care. If you use the search box at the top of the page a whole lot of threads on the topic come up. In working on self care, I have found starting small has helped, e.g. putting health activities first in my day (e.g. meditation, yoga and walking my dogs) before I get started on chores and looking after things for my kids. Once I start on those, there's no end to it and I miss out. Take care.

Sorry @frog. I’ve never done this before. I joined the forum because I have complex mental health issues and I don’t do well with people face to face.

Three things about me: I am passionate about animals, I’m middling aged, and I’m a terrific worrier. How’s that for starters?

No need to apologize @Annabelle4 I actually thought about joining the forum for 2 years before I did anything about it! It was really confusing at first, but also really worthwhile. It really feels like a community to me now. If someone tags you (with @) in another thread you can reply there to join in. We have a bit in common because I am middle aged, a chronic worrier, and love animals Smiley Happy I also have Bipolar 1 and lots of anxiety issues just to make life interesting Smiley Frustrated

hi @Annabelle4 im wondering if your still around? i suffer from sh urges too and would be more than happy to give you a hand with helping to cope with them

Hi @outlander.Yes, I’m still around. I’m just a bit quieter than I was. I’d love some workable ideas for when I get the urge to sh. It seems like the urges are just as strong as ever.

Thank you for offering to help with ideas.

Sure @Annabelle4 what have you tried so far? And do you find anything that helps at?

I’ve tried ice, punching a punch-bag, pinching, sitting with the feeling, and writing it out. I’m starting to think that nothing but the pain will work.

Apologees for the long time between responses, @outlander - I get intermittent internet signals here.

hi @Annabelle4 

this thread here might be able to help you abit more with strategies. ill be back with a better response after abit of sleep..

heres the thread

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.