Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Surfbird
Senior Contributor

Recognising psychosis

Hi all

i have been struggling with mental illness all my life, I have only just learnt or accepted that I'm sliding into psychosis on occasion my therapist has pointed out a couple of occasions which I can recognise in retrospect, I told my husband who agreed ( he's been telling me for years ) but no- one else sees it, I'm very good at hiding it, even from myself. 

Now I want to recognise it, and I'm not sure how, any hints ? I was badly abused by mentally ill foo, probably the reason for my complete denial (I wasn't like THAT) but I do have a mi ! 

So now the only real thing I can identify is my big craving for cigerettes when in psychosis, I usually quit when feeling better, so this annoys me because it isn't a certain indication I might just be craving cigerettes because I quit smoking 2 weeks ago after 2 weeks of smoking after 12 mths off them etc etc on / off / on / off 

anyway any clues in worried as I just bought another pack. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Recognising psychosis

I'm usually the last person who can recognise an acute psychotic experience @Surfbird, but like you I have cravings for self damaging behaviours when I am headed into an episode. I also experience hallucinations more (I hear voices and when I see the devil aka 'Redman', I know it is time for the hospital). The delusions are much harder to recognise for me, as my insight goes flying out the window. Do you know what you experience during a psychotic event and can you reality check with another? I do this and it does help a little when I am running low on insight into my own reality.

@Surfbird Hi Surfbird I am sorry when I am headed for a full blown psychosis like Queenie my insight just is not there. I am off with the fairies so to speak. It comes on too quick for me and Bam! I am sick again. Once I went into a cigerette shop to get some cigerettes after no smoking for 25 years and asked for a packet which was obviously no longer made and the owner must have known I was ill and refused to serve me. That was a reality check for me. I didn't smoke and still have not smoked.  I would go around to your favourite shop where you buy cigettes and ask them not to serve you, just explain that at times you become ill and that should give you a jolt into reality. I hope this helps. greenpea

Yes thank you so much, I have never spoken to anyone about it ever, maybe my therapist but only a little and grudgingly, but I'm coming to terms with it all now and what you both have said helps a lot, I definitely lose insight and become self destructive, I think I need the reality checks but I'm not altogether sure I would trust anyone's answer ? But maybe now I'm more aware I could be more trusting, 

Thank you @greenpea @Queenie 

Also I do hullucinate but I have always known I was hullucinateing I'm not sure how I know but I'm always correct , I was under the impression people were not aware of hullucinations - do you know if this is common? 

I am going to talk to my therapist about all this, but there's so much to learn, I really don't understand 

thanks again 

@Surfbird  Hi Surfbird when I am hallucinating I have no idea that I am. I totally believe what is happening to be true. I get caught up in it and cannot distinguish what is real and what is my illness. I agree with you I think discussing this with your therapist is the way to go.

I would say that the fact you can distinguish between what is the illness and what is reality is a good thing for you. However I have been told from my pdoc that the more breakthrough symptoms that occur the worse the prognosis is in the end. In other words you don't want to be having hallucinations etc at all. This is where the right medications come in. greenpea xxx

Thanks @greenpea 

i understand and agree, I will talk to her this week, thanks for sharing your experience 👍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.