Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

M_P90
Senior Contributor

PETS

I've written on here before about my bunny, but I have to talk about how much he helped me tonight. I have a long list of diagnoses, basically complex trauma. I've been in a depressed state for a few months now, and it's just been tough, really tough. Today I really wanted to turn a new leaf. I have an eating disorder & some vulnerability around alcohol, and today I came home with urges through the damn roof. I just wanted to conquer it today. I won battles in this damned war today, not every battle but more than usual. I had been reading some Buddhism and thinking, "Stop numbing yourself, face your reality". With less numbing, comes tidal waves of pain. Trauma, grief and stress overflowing.

I was keeping a lid on things earlier in the evening when my rabbit started freaking out. They're prey animals so they do that from time to time. I thought tonight I'd sit with him and keep myself in his eye sight and comfort him with a little more than I usually do. Often I just want him to stop thumping his foot, but I was more attentive tonight. Later, I reached my own threshold and was having my freak out, crying and talking on the phone to Mum. My bunny charged right to my side, and was with me the entire hour I was crying. He usually comes over for some cuddles but won't stay that long. I really felt this exchange of support with him. I know he is so much more clever and complex than an "animal" as we talk about them, but this was really a relationship thing and I appreciated it so much. 

He's the best. Pets, seriously they save lives when it comes to mental health. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: PETS

@M_P90 ,

Thank you for sharing.

You are 100% right - animals/pets have a sense we know so little about. If only we took heed to what we can learn from animals, plants, and nature itself, I think things would be very different.

I've looked into the amazing work assistance and therapy animals (esp dogs) do. To see animals be able to sense an oncoming 'episode', (whether it be a panic attack, seizure etc) and act to reduce harm or distress to humans, keeps me in awe.

WOW is all I can say.

Once again, thank you for sharing your story.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @M_P90 

I just wanted to reach out to say that I’m so sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for you Heart

Wrestling with such powerful urges can be absolutely excruciating and it can take everything that we have to battle against these Smiley Sad

Well done on winning some of your battles today! Every win (no matter how small) is such an amazing achievement!

What a beautiful story about your bunny - thank you so much for sharing this with us Smiley Happy I really loved the part of your story when you said, ‘my bunny charged right to my side and was with me the entire hour I was crying.’

He really does sounds like an extremely caring and intuitive little soul and I’m so pleased that he’s able to provide some comfort for you at such a difficult time Heart

Take care,

ShiningStar Heart

greenpea
Senior Contributor

@M_P90  Hey M_P90 we have a pet bunny who saves our lives every day. He is naught and cute and sits by my feet as I work on the computer. My children in particular love him so much. Bunnies are particularly sensitive creatures and love their owners. Thought you might appreciate the song by Bini the Bunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfPExePraM

The first-ever song made by a rabbit. This unique song was written using real music composed by Bini the Bunny. We listened carefully to the music Bini played on the piano and guitar, copied his notes, added beautiful meaningful lyrics, and created the finished piece titled: Without You. Animals ...
M_P90
Senior Contributor

Thanks, I love Bini the Bunny but hadn't seen that video. Yeah, it was so hard to get out of bed this morning, he doesn't give me much privacy haha but he came and sat in the bathroom with me, just a little nudge here and there. Much appreciated.

@M_P90 Just dropping by to say well done for getting up today - every step is a victory 🐰

Former-Member
Not applicable

Just wanted to say what a great relationship you have with your bunny. So glad you found the strength to get through the urges, well done.🌻🐇🐰

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.