Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

tigerlilly64
Casual Contributor

Not sure who to reach out to for help

Hi,

I've recently moved to Australia and I'm not sure how to reach out for the help that I need. I've been battling with non-suicidal tendencies to hurt myself. Should I call a doctor to get a referral or should I call a counsellor's clinic or a psychiatrist? I'd appreciate if anyone could provide me with links or a number to call. Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Not sure who to reach out to for help

Hi @tigerlilly64  thanks for posting, there are definitely a few services you could chat to. You could start with booking in with a local GP, or even have a chat for some general insight with the team on our helpline at 1800 187 263. It's good that the self-harm is not with intent to end life but it's definitely important to get some support around this. Hopefully some other members will jump in soon with their insight too Heart

Hi @tigerlilly64 and welcome to the forum (and Australia!) 🙂

As nashy mentioned, a GP would probably be a good start. Do you have a medicare card (I'm not sure how that works when it comes to recently moving here)? If so, you would be eligible for 10 subsidised sessions with a psychologist which a GP can help you access.

Another number that might be helpful to have if the thoughts you're having become really difficult to manage or they escalate, is Lifeline. They are a phone service who support people in crisis and their number is 13 11 14. They also have a chat service and some great information and resources on their website too, including info on self harm and help seeking.

Hope you find some helpful support soon.

Hi @CheerBear 

No, I don’t have a medicard so I’m not sure how much psychiatric appointments will cost me? I’m currently without the appropriate visa to work so I rely heavily on my husband financially and he’s not fully on board with my issue. He doesn’t think it’s a serious matter, he thinks it’s just a bad habit. So I’m not sure if I can even see a professional 

Thank you. I’ll give them a ring.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.