Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

TheVorticon
Senior Contributor

How to get your life back?

It seems like my life has been taken over by mental health stuff. Counselling sessions are basically the highlight of each month, but equally throw me into an all-consuming mess when anything goes wrong.

I know I need to do more activities outside of counselling but it doesn't stop my thoughts from obsessing about it, no matter what activity I'm doing.

Is there a way to reduce the importance of this mental health stuff so that I can stop thinking about it all the time and get on with everything else? The only option I can see is going cold turkey from it all. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How to get your life back?

Funny you should say that I am seriously considering going 'cold turkey' on my pdoc, mental health nurse sessions and only keeping my support workers till the end of the year. I want to be free of this constraint which is my mental illness it just has taken over my life.

Hey @greenpea thanks for replying. I can sense your frustration and I'm right there with you. In my case I think cold turkey might make things worse but at the same time it's not getting better as it is so it's hard to decide, even though I just want some freedom from it all 😕

I know what you mean. I have my mother constantly asking me is it your week to see psychiatrist and I lie and say yes when it has been almost 2 months BUT I am on medications which are working and I want to start my course without it being tied down by my mi. I wont stop taking meds as I am not in denial of my mi I just want the periferal stuff to disappear.,

Hi @TheVorticon,

Your post reminded me a lot of my time in therapy. Basically, it consumed my life and it didn't help that I had to email my therapist every single day, either. It was just one neverending nightmare.

I was lucky that my therapist one day decided that I was cured and that I didn't need treatment anymore. I have never looked back and I am never, ever going back, either.

Regarding the question of how to get your life back... as far as I can tell, it all hinges on knowing the right people. If you are fortunate enough to know people who can open doors for you (socially, professionally) in whatever avenue you wish to go down, then you have hope. Just be wary of people who might try to exploit your desire to get your life back to manipulate you for their own ends. If you get the impression that your association with someone/some group is all about you doing what they want and not at all about you "getting your life back", then don't hesitate to look for a way out of that situation.

It just seems so hopeless. They say to seek help but not what to do when that help seems to contribute to the problem. I don't want to live like this anymore but I don't know what other way there is out of my stupid emotional ****. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.