Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Eating disorder

For the past few years I have been eating excessively especialy when feeling really depressed, hopeless, and emotoinal.  I can't seem to control my eating.  I will eat anything I can get my hands on.  For eg. if there is a big bag of chips in the pantry - well they'll be gone in a few minutes.  And i eat them like there's no tomorrow. I eat them so quickly so no one will see. 

It's a disgusting thing to do, i hate it so much because i am so not in control and i hate not been in control. it's something that i feel i can't fix; it's driving me crazy.  I feel very anxious about this and i know it's a problem.

I am really ashamed and embarassed to tell you all on here - but I need help and don't know what to do.

I am thinking that if I tell my psych he will just brush it off like he did last week with another issue.

Any advice or suggestions from anyone?

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Eating disorder

Hi @BlueBay

It's a good thing you are raising this and not just letting it go because of what happened with the psych last week.

Here are the contact details for Eating Disorders Victoria:

Email - help@eatingdisorders.org.au

Phone - 1300 550 236

I think from memory you are in Victoria.  If you contact them they will be able to advise you.

❤️

Thanks @Faith-and-Hope

I will have a look at the website and contact them for advice.

Thanks for the info.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @BlueBay

Please don't be ashamed of having ED in your life. I've had bulimia on and off for 25 years now and I eventually told my GP and psych. It's important for them to know what checks are appropriate and also to gauge my stress levels. I've had a tough day today (just in my head no external influence) and bang....

Thinking of you x

PS I try to minimise my exposure to treats & nibbles and try to buy the treat size when I want to. A bulk pack will always trigger an attack....

Hi @Former-Member

I need to tell my psych or even my GP or therapist.  I feel disgusting when I have finished what I eat. But at the time I am loving it so much. And it's disgustng how I just shove so much in my mouth. Chips are my biggest failure - either I don't buy them anymore or buy small packets. Trouble is the kids want some snacks in the pantry.

I just don't have the strength to (a) not open the bag of chips/food and (b) limit the amount I will eat.

I hope you are a bit better at the moment, sorry to hear you are having a bad day.  I totally get that.

Take care xx

This week is disgusting with my eating.  Gorging and shoving so much food into my mouth.  Yesterday I came home from the outpatient program and I saw a packet of chips open in the pantry.  I stuffed as much as I could in my mouth and so quick.

It's disgusting, looking back at how bad i am with food and my emotions. I hate myself for being like this.

I did email the eating disorders of melbourne and they didn't reply back. may need to email again. i can't ring and speak to someone because i feel ashamed.

Try not to feel ashamed @BlueBay.   It's probably far more common than you realise, and you are reaching out to get help with it.  Good on you !

Yes, I would try emailing them again.  There are different shifts of counsellors, like there are moderators on this forum.  See how you go this time.

💜

Hi @BlueBay@Faith-and-Hope and @Former-Member,

Just thought I'd let you know that we're having a Topic Tuesday discussion tonight from 7-9pm in the Carer's Forum here about recovery from disordered eating. Our special guest will be from Eating Disorders Victoria.

Love to "see" you there if you're interested!

Shimmer Smiley Happy

Yes thanks @Shimmer I'll be there.

Hi all 

I just found this post I started three years ago. Reading it I have had an eating disorder for a long while. 

Ive realised recently that when I eat I have to go for a walk to “get rid of the food” from my body. (Hope thst makes sense) 

the other day my daughter and I had hot chips st the park with A. When I got home I had to walk again to get rid of those chips from my body. 

I don’t know what to do. I haven’t told my dietitian as yet. 

The scales are now with my d somewhere. She’s hid them. But I still get sngry with that. 

This ED is consuming me. 

Starting to feel horrible and embarrassed and hate what I’m doing. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.