Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

@Faith-and-Hope, sounds like a good, practical way of "unpacking" without wearing yourself out totally. Our beloved "baby steps" approach.

That’s the one @Smc .....

I also think of them as “I think I can” steps .....

Baby steps here too, one more box packed today.

images (29).jpg

"I can do this" is also how I have been able to motivate myself to deal with one thing a day. No packing but a friend helped take a load to the tip. We got a couple of moving tasks done, sorting electricity for leaving house, dog has had shots and been given an all round treatment that includes heartworm protection and has been booked into kennels so she is not in the way of removalist & cleaners. Mr Darcy took some jeans that are now too big for him to the op shop as well as some excess kitchen implements.

I'm so over living in disarray as well. On a good day I have a burst of energy and feel so good for what I've done, but sadly those days are outnumbered. I'm new to this forum and honestly, it's a relief to no I'm not alone!

Hello @Yimeepim 

Welcome 👋

You are certainly not alone.

Bursts of energy are rare for me too, at most times impossible, my "I can do this" was inititally committing to tidying/getting rid of one thing a day. 

Here we share tips we have found useful and if we need advice on a particular item or problem area, our fellow clutter busters are happy to share how they have dealt with things.

A tip I came across and immediately used was one thing in, two things out. 

We would love to hear of any successes, no matter how small,  putting a book on a shelf can feel like a major triumph some days.

Can I gently encourage you to deal with one thing today.

images (52).jpg

images (53).jpg

Hi @Yimeepim and welcome to the forums 👋

hello @Former-Member , @Faith-and-Hope , @Yimeepim , @Smc , @Ali11 , @Determined 

mr shaz totally cleaned out mum`s shed -- wow , looks great now

but mum said to take everything to the op shop or the dump -- will doo , maybe next week xx

Did mum have much in the shed  @Shaz51 ?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.