Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

You are right, one in,  one out is more a maintenance strategy @Smc

I did upgrade to a one in, two out rule after seeing this on YouTube 😀

https://youtu.be/s5eSwkLeRDU

Rachel Papworth, from Green and Tidy, shares the ONE tip you need to declutter easily and permanently. FREE video course, The Seven Biggest Clutter-Clearing Mistakes - And How To Avoid Them, here: https://clutterfree30.com/free-videos

Yep... So going by that I'm still in debit five books and seven other items. If the lady who's interested in the crockery I'm moving on goes through with it, I'll be getting into credit. 😄

Feeling a bit ashamed about food waste, but after finding the expired pulses lurking in the pantry I investigated further and needed to deal with:

3 x half used vinegars

2 x half used packs noodles

1 x sachet stir fry sauce

1 x pack cocoa

2 x mouldy jams

@Former-Member, our pantry needs a thorough stocktake. I deliberately keep a bit of a stockpile, not "prepper" level or anything, but enough to be useful if there's extra expenses or for other reasons the shopping doesn't get done, but there are some items that have sat for longer than they should.

We recently wanted to help out our Younger Son with a loan towards some travel with friends that he was a bit short for, so that gave me some impetus to use up some of what was in surplus. Once I'm feeling better, I might want to do another round of that, and see what can disappear into dinner... or bikkies... or cakes. And the chook is available too if anything's beyond those uses. 🙂

Moved on an unused BBQ set to a new home today. It was part of a "promotional gift set" with a freezer we purchased years ago, but we don't have a BBQ so have never used it. Sold for a bargain price to someone who willl.

@Former-Member @Smc 

We filled a weelie bin of expired items out of our pantry when prepping our house for sale. 

Double ups on lots of things. They were deep shelves so easy to bury things and loose track. 

Three bottles and another tin put in the recycling and 3 others stored where they are readily usable = a small container of items collecting dust no longer under the kitchen benches (ours are the old style legged cupboards) 🙌.

@Former-Member have you a bit of clutter you are wanting to deal with? 

Long disused child's pushbike gone to a good home.

The recycling has accumulated in our kitchen while I've been off colour. I reckon I can tackle that while dinner cooks....

Yes, I have heaps of corners and piles to sort. Going through jewellery atm. Soooooo much 😕 Need to do kitchen drawers & sauspan cupboards too (forgotten what's in the back there).

Just got back from lunch with a friend. Lifted something heavy & put my back out, so having a rest.

Made a start on kitchen plastics today. Have put some takeaway containers in the recycling and have got a tub full of quality items ready for washing. 

Got the Christmas tablecloth off the table, so a bit of rubbish has also been removed in the process. Have un-extended the table while I was at it. Last Christmas it ended up being left at full extenion, so hoping that it being slightly smaller will mean there's less of an inclination to let paperwork and other non-dining table items build up on it. (Some paperwork may stay, but only what's current and important.... not last month's supermarket catalogues, for example.)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.