Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Christmas - practical tips & strategies to get through the silly season

Hi all,

It seems like the moment December 1 ticked over, up sprouted Christmas trees, elves and santa hats!

We thought we could create a bit of a resource thread for all of us to share practical tips to get through Christmas.

• Do you have a cooking tip or recipe to make things easier for those of us who have to host our whole family for Christmas dinner?

• Do you know a great service that can assist if a tough time pops up?

• Do you have your own strategies to manage if things get a bit too much?

We want members to create this toolkit by carers, for carers - because only a carer knows what it's like.

It will be a thread that you can look back on throughout the holiday season to get your own tips as well as giving them.

We would love for you all to share your wisdom.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Christmas - practical tips & strategies to get through the silly season

Whether it's Christmas, Easter or a Birthday, I find it's always the opportunity for that certain someone in our family to start pushing everyones buttons.  Every occasion always turned into an argument session, raised voices and even some tears.  This year I chose not to let my sibling bother me with snide comments and swept most of the troubling behaviour under the rug - just for that day.  Most of what was said I chose to ignore and I made the most of the day with my other family members and kept the conversations neutral.

I even threw in a few hugs for my sibling - which always throws them off guard, lol.

I have a Christmas recipe for a desert that's super yum (make a day or more ahead).

Put 2 layers of cling film in a mixing bowl and hang generously over the sides.  Line the inside wall and the bottom of the bowl with thin slices of panetone (or use plain old raisin toast if you like).  In another bowl mix your favourite ice cream with some pitted cheries (sour cherries are the best to use) and pistachios (or any other nut - chop if pieces are large).  Put this mixture into your lined bowl and then put a few more slices of the panetone on top to make a lid.  Fold over the cling wrap to cover.  Press down on the top with something flat like a plate or cutting board.  Then freeze overnight.  When ready, take out of freezer and remove top of cling wrap.  Flip over onto a plate.  Remove the bowl and the rest of the cling wrap from your desert.  To serve, melt some chocolate and pour over the top. 

It's a nice cold desert on a hot day and easy peasy to make.  You can even add some of your favourite liquor to the ice cream if you want (but not for the kids).  You can also add pretty much anything yummy to the ice cream.

Enjoy!

Hi @Kiera80 

Thank you for sharing your delicious recipe. You inspired me to share my easy recipe too!

You can probably tell from the picture what's involved:

strawberries.jpg

They are soooo easy! They are a bit fiddly & at first, mine didn't quite look like that - but I had lots of practise and eventually got it looking a bit like the picture above! Really good treat to have for when people arrive (if you're not eating straight away).

Here is the link for more details http://www.foodista.com/blog/2012/12/01/santa-strawberries-are-a-quick-and-easy-christmas-treat#s.ad...

& kinda healthy... right...?!

Hi @coffeegirl. These are amazing! I have to try these they look simply amazing...

@coffeegirl these little santas are simply gorgeous, thanks for sharing.  I might make up a batch of these too!

Hi everyone!

Just boosting this thread - lets all get back in here and share some tools for a carers toolkit this holiday season! 

• Do you have a cooking tip or recipe to make things easier for those of us who have to host our whole family for Christmas dinner?

Just boosting this thread - lets all get back in here and share some tools for a carers toolkit this holiday season! 

Ohhhh @Lauz , you have been very busy

how is your christmas looking  and now that you are Mrs @Lauz are you holding a christmas dinner xoxo

up here we love ham and salads, and prawns , easy and sooo yummy

how about you @Kiera80 , @Alessandra1992 , @coffeegirl , @Former-Member , @Determined , @Smc , @Former-Member , @Mrsjones , @Adge , @Former-Member 

A quiet Christmas in the Darcy household this year,  having a new years years catch up with some of Mr Ds family members.  At this stage it will likely just be the two of us.  I will get some treats, smoked salmon and nice cheese to go with our lunch, perhaps a lamb roast for tea.

images (13).jpeg

yuuummmm @Former-Member 

we are having christmas morning with my mum

and then christmas lunch with MIL and DIL  family

then away for 5 days , close enough if mums need us and far enough for a break @Former-Member 

Panforte a Christmas fave at our place too @Shaz51 

Question?

Does the recently wed @Lauz + Christmas = Mrs Clauz 😁 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.