Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

nashy
Senior Contributor

COVID19 - Unpacking fact vs fiction! + Self Care Strategies

Hey everyone, just wanted to touch base and acknowledge that while we continue to learn new information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) it's important for us to look after ourselves and one another. I am keen to do a small post where we can share our thoughts and maybe reflect on what is true verse what has been potentially inflated by the media.

To kick off, here is the primary link to all information on this virus. For a more legible understanding I would also suggest checking out this article here.

Whilst it's a good idea for us to stay aware of any new government updates and make sure we're getting the right facts, it's also important for us to be aware of how this information impacts our own well-being. 

brain.gif

Perhaps you might be feeling more anxious or worried during this time. If you are, please know that you're not alone. Keep reaching out of the forum community and supporting one another, right in this thread if you like 🙂 

Our media consumption and how we choose to engage with these outlets will have a huge impact on our emotional wellbeing right now. I want to note some positive forms of media consumption you can check out. Have a look at the below..

Good News Network [click here]

Positive.news [click here]

Huff Post - Good News [click here]

What are some positive news sources or websites you find really helpful?

Final up - Physical distancing! Many of us will need to stay home and look after ourselves for a few weeks while the virus slowly begins to contain. What are your favourite things to do at home? Some of the other forum members may enjoy your ideas 😄

@nashys favourites are:

• the Netflix show the circle (trashy but good)
  • Current Book: Abbi Jacobsen, "I might regret this"
  • Creative: Currently learning blues picking on guitar 🎸

Feel free to share your own home hobbies with the crew.
Will check back in here soon, but look forward to further discussion and ideas on how to manage during this time 🙂 

133 REPLIES 133

Re: COVID19 - Unpacking fact vs fiction! + Self Care Strategies

Hi @nashy 

I'm struggling mentally with this. I am panicking when I shop and can't find anything. 
Today I'm hibernating at home. Feeling depressed and  anxious 

self care for me is:

colouring in my Mandela book

sitting outside on my deck listening to the birds 

playing with my granddaughter 

The shopping situation can be a bit of a pain, especially watching some of the interactions! I feel like chilling outside with the birds is a good one to offset some of that anxiety, thank you @BlueBay 🙂 

I like this quote during hectic times - "it might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever" 🙂 Heart

@BlueBay 

Get as much sun as you can. Vitamin D, before winter starts. Also not to alarm you further I have been watching Dr John Campbell on YouTube. He uploads global updates on the pandemic. He had began uploading before this was declared a pandemic. So I was well informed  and prepared before the shops went into panic mode. Also if I am correct most foods are produced in Australia so we won't have a shortage soon.

Blessed we are that the Australian researches have found a mixture of HIV and Malaria medication, needing fundings and trials to take place soon. Announced yesterday and this morning again. 

Something I've found really helpful - which Nashy alluded to - is talking about physical distancing rather than social distancing to remind ourselves and focus on the fact that while we are all physically apart, social connectedness & maintaining belonging/community through this is so important!!

Obviously staying connected here (and mabe we can organise some extra virtual dinners  etc) but also using technology like FaceTime, group video/text chat, social media, phone calls, send video messages etc etc as one way to keep connected through this time of physical distancing....

So heres to staying connected through physical distance!

@BlueBay i understand.  have found this to be a great time for freezer meal prep! Nothing like home made lasagne, lasts for ages! Spag bol too. Any excuse for italian!! Will weather the storm together

Hello @BlueBay@JustWantLove@s-jay@nashy , @Former-Member Heart

that is a great idea @Former-Member Smiley Happy

will have to do this too xx

yes I have ensued that us and my elderly mum have enough of everything without going overboard 

I and mr shaz are a bit anxious as I have kidney disease stage 4 and diabetes , so i cant afford to get sick 

and mr shaz is worried about our work , as we are self employed , i think our jobs will go down 

So much stress for you my beautiful friend @Shaz51 

❤️❤️

I alinate myself already so I think the connection on here is important.

Struggling with going down the street to food shop, too many people for my anxiety levels.

I think self care is picking a better time to go down, some paced breathing and good old prn!!

Take care everyone 

Take care @Snowie ❤️

I avoided shops today. I could not go there. 
and I'll prob stsy away for rest of the week. 
it's a crazy world 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.