Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: 8 dimensions of wellness

I agree @Appleblossom  that while diet and exercise are important, everything is integrated and a holistic approach is necessary. 

Focusing on one element of wellness at a time gives opportunity for us to perhaps consider things we have not done so previously.

Oh dear, this is a deep issue for me. Putting myself first is not easy.... and the emotional health does impact on physical (and visa versa of course). I do try to get enough sleep & give myself regular & conistent self care actions - a walk, a little gardening, reading, a power-nap. Even wearing something I feel good in & taking time to apply body moisturiser with attention to myself.... I used to exercise lots, but this just got harder as I got more stressed, so is an area that could use some attention.

As for what the researchers have highlighted the need for, Yes all of that would greatly assist. I wonder who might be willing to offer that & how.... (Apologies if I sound cynical). 

I guess its a matter of doing the best possible within the wider needs & what is going on at the time.... Sleep helps! 🙂 

@Former-Member  Sorry been away but love this thread and definitely want to join in 🙂 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@FindingStrength  a lot of us do not find putting ourself first easy. I think we sometimes look at this as being selfish and I think our underlying motivation is the key.  It is awfully hard for me as I am "out of condition" but after starting a healthy eating program (not for myself intially, but for Mr Darcy's medication induced constipation) I began to notice the benefits and am now doing it for myself and not in a selfish way, a@Boo13  says, her daily exercise helps her to better cope with her caring demands and I want to be able to retain my usefulness in lifes responsibilities and other endeavours that are beneficial to my family and friends.

309778_AgingBrainJennings_posts17.jpg309778_AgingBrainJennings_posts13.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Physical wellness is multifaceted and I do like this summary. I like how it highlights things like self motivation, stamina and vibrancy, things I would like to have more of.

d196c40425b1537590e5cd8b357e9034 (3).jpg

Illustrations can say so much more than words ... found this one helpful.

e04135de67da84fb98b62b5cbc61a35c.jpg

I am beginning to realise that physical self care is really prevention. Just as we cannot stop accidents, we can do things that help reduce severity of them and lessen injury. So we cannot prevent all illness, but we can do things that will help improve outcomes.  I know at one stage I felt our car was better maintained than I was ... yikes. 

figuur_1_7.jpg 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@JS1  you might enjoy participating in this discussion thread.

I think the key is finding something that we enjoy and are able to do to help our physical health.  It doesn't matter if it is small or big.  Simply deciding to say no to the extra biscuit may be all you can do on a particular day.  If so, feel proud of that achievement.  Every action counts and we all have different levels and abilities.  Alternatively, it may be attending a health checkup or reading about health for ideas.

Hello @Darcy @Appleblossom @Shaz51 @Scoo @FindingStrength,

@Boo13, @Sophie1 , @nashy 

this is a wonderful , interesting thread ,thank you @Former-Member 

yes I am seeing places where I am helping myself , just need to spread it more into my daily life Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Brooklyn7  @Icare20  you may like to join us in this discussion.

this is a deep issue for me. Putting myself first is not easy...-- same here @FindingStrength 

I have always put myself last as my mum has told me many many times

@Former-Member, @Boo13 , @Sophie1 , @Appleblossom , @Scoo , @Former-Member 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.