Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Tonight: SANE Peer Support Online Mental Health Meet-Up

Hi there forums community!

Tonight SANE are hosting a Peer Support Online Mental Health Meet-Up, and would like to invite you to join in 🎉 

We are trialling an online chat meet-up for people with complex mental health issues as well as family, friends and carers!EDM_Banner_2-990000045104513c.png

This new online mental health support group is hosted by SANE's Peer Support Workers who you may have met in the forums - they have been trained to use their own experiences of mental health issues to help others. We also have counsellors in the background to make sure chats are as safe as possible for participants.

These meet ups will be held fortnightly, and you can also have your say on the topics and questions discussed too by putting forward your suggestions in the lead up to the sessions. Whether you have lived experience yourself, or you’re a friend or family member, these sessions are for anyone seeking support from other people who ‘get it’. 

Today's Topic is.. Relationships: Maintaining boundaries when experiencing complex mental health issues. 

When: Thursday 25 February | 7.00-8.30pm AEDT 

There are two ways you can join the discussion:

1. You can join as a live-chat participant, by registering to the live chat platform (Important note: the live chat platform is not linked to your forum account)
  2. If you prefer to watch the conversation unfold, you can join as a guest.  

We do have guidelines for the meet ups that you will be asked to read and agree to in the sign up process. 

For further information on how this session works and how to join, visit our website today or check out the FAQ page. 

Relationships and BoundariesRelationships and Boundaries

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Tonight: SANE Peer Support Online Mental Health Meet-Up

Hi @Daisydreamer, some questions about the "Peer Support Online Mental Health Meet-Up"...

I followed your 'registration' link to sign up to participate. That link led to this page on the Sane website. From there I had some trouble understanding the instructions about where to go next in the registration process.

The instruction I read on that page under the heading "participate in our meet-up chat", directed me to "enter the meet-up through the box below". I could not find a box, but instead chose to hit the blue button that said "open meetup in new window".

That seems to have taken me to the start of the registration process on the non-Sane site called chatwee.com. I have not gone past that page yet but I have a question about one of the guidelines on that page.

Under the heading "Anonymity", this is one of the numbered points:

"you may wish to think about the username you are using and the considerations of using the same username in other SANE support offerings or external services"

Would it be better for some reason if we did not use our Sane usernames? Not sure why that might be of benefit? Could be a little weird chatting with people we've sometimes known for years on the forum while not knowing who they are under different usernames?

Thanks for any further info.

Hi @Daisydreamer  I've tried and tried to log into the Meet Up, followed all the instructions and kept getting sent in a loop. Like @Mazarita , there was only the same window she described. I was not allowed to register with my usual information, and had to log in as a guest with a different user name. Have not recieved a confirmation email either. 

Going from the known Sane site to that other site bothered me for internet security issues too as there was no mention that that would happen. 

Could be different browsers and web security issues. Don't know. Very disappointed. 

@Daisydreamer @s-jay  ... I registered during the day, and I saw my name there and everything.

Then tonight I tried to get in and the website doesnt even come up at all now.  Cannot get in.  

Is this an issue with my browser or something?  I got in okay earlier, so that seems unlikely.

Perhaps the site is overburdened, too many people and cannot handle it?  I dont know, I'm not tech savvy.

@Former-Member ... I saw you on the list of members there when I was in earlier.  Are you able to advise how to get on.

None of the links from these Sane notices work at all. Everything just keeps coming back say "this site can't be reached". Frustrated to say the least.

Emelia 

Isn't Sane for 18 + these young girls don't look old enough to represent this site?

@Emelia8 I'm really sorry to hear it didn't work for you last night! We'll try and troubleshoot it for you 🙂 

Do you remember which link you were following to the website last night? I just tested the links in the post above and they were working for me just now.

@Mazarita and @Last-Lament
You have followed all the link correctly 🙂 Yes as you noticed, because it is a different platform to the forums it is a different registration. Hope this helps to clarify for the next fortnight.

In terms of usernames, we are open to members either using their same username or a new one 🙂 More of a personal choice and we support either way.

@Emelia8 Very sorry to hear you weren't able to get through. I have just double checked the links, and they seem to be working fine now. Next time if this happens again, clear your cookies/cache. If it still doesn't work, please let us know. I will flag for the team the "site can't be reached" message so we can look into it from our end to understand what happened

Hi @Daisydreamer 

Thanks for the extra info. Just want to make sure you saw this part of my earlier post:

"...under the heading "participate in our meet-up chat", directed me to "enter the meet-up through the box below". I could not find a box, but instead chose to hit the blue button that said "open meetup in new window. That seems to have taken me to the start of the registration process."

The reason I highlight this to you is that the instruction about entering the meetup through a box seems to me to be incorrect, given that I found my way to the site by hitting a blue button. Have I missed something, or does that page on the Sane website need updating to give more accurate instructions?

Thanks @Daisydreamer @Former-Member 

I have just checked again to see if I could access that site today. But still no go. Just the message "This site cant be reached".

If I do a diagnostics check it tells me that "your computer appears to be configured correctly, but the device or resource (www.sane.org) is not responding".

I tried to access thru the hyperlink "registering" in your opening post on this thread.

Incidentally, I get the same message when I attempt to select the SANE Support Services link under Counselling Support on your main site.

I tried to get on last night, and obviously failed.

I have never had this problem before, and there does not appear to be any other discrepancies. Its just weird, and upsetting.

Emelia

Hi @Mazarita , how are you?

Please see attached screenshot that shows the blue button ('Open Meet-Up in New Window') and the top of the box where the chat platform is embedded onto the website ('SANE Mental Health Meet-UP'). That is how the chat is accessed via desktop/laptop,

In the same section on the page, it clarifies that for mobile use, there is a blue speech button on the bottom right of your screen, and clicking on that takes you to the chat page.

@Emelia8 that appears to be an issue with your browser cache/cookies, but clearing them should resolve the issue!

Below are instructions on how to do that for different browsers:

For Google Chrome

For Safari or iphone device

For Internet Explorer

For Firefox

If your browser isn’t listed above, you can google the name of your browser + clear cookies. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further Q's 😊

Hope you're well,

Pipinya ðŸŒ¿

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 3.15.30 pm.png
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.